how many laps will it take....

eddy2017

If A is travelling at 120 mph and is one lap (3/4 mile) behind, and B is travelling 110 mph, how many laps will it take A to catch up

[edited-title]

Last edited by a moderator:

Subhotosh Khan

Super Moderator
Staff member

JeffM

Elite Member
Eddy

You should know by now that we want to see the work you have done or what ideas you may have.

eddy2017

thanks, yes, you're right. I forgot to start on my own.
Sorry and thanks.

eddy2017

subhotosh-khan, thanks for the tip
I'll see about that

Jomo

Elite Member
A is 1 lap behind who or what?

eddy2017

it should be behind B
maybe I have to use the formula for speed here

Subhotosh Khan

Super Moderator
Staff member
If A is travelling at 120 mph and is one lap (3/4 mile) behind, and B is travelling 110 mph, how many laps will it take A to catch up

[edited-title]
If you were sitting in the car B, what will be the measured speed of car A (relative to car B)?

eddy2017

I am trying to read up on this online before I come here.
should I start with this formula?
rate(of speed) * time

am I on the right path?

Subhotosh Khan

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am trying to read up on this online before I come here.
should I start with this formula?
rate(of speed) * time

am I on the right path?
I'll ask again - please figure out:

If you were sitting in the car B, what will be the measured speed of car A (relative to car B)?

btimofte100

I'll ask again - please figure out:

speed B - speed A ?

Subhotosh Khan

Super Moderator
Staff member
speed B - speed A ?
It took you ~7 days to respond - must not be very important!!

The correct response is:

Speed A - speed B = 120 - 110 = 10 mph

How long would it take to cover 0.75 mile(the lag) at 10 mph?

btimofte100

It took you ~7 days to respond - must not be very important!!

The correct response is:

Speed A - speed B = 120 - 110 = 10 mph

How long would it take to cover 0.75 mile(the lag) at 10 mph?
Sorry i think you confused me . I am not the original topic creator :)

eddy2017

Hello

thanks to all of you. I was really busy and i was also trying to make some sense of Mr Subhotoh's tip.

if you were sitting in the car B, what will be the measured speed of car A (relative to car B)?

Speed A - speed B = 120 - 110 = 10 mph (I understand now. the wording of the question threw me off. I struggle with how to start off on a math problem big time!)

If A is travelling at 120 mph and is one lap (3/4 mile) behind, and B is travelling 110 mph, how many laps will it take A to catch up.

1 lap= 3/4 mile =0.75 mile
behind (keyword for subtraction)

car A 120mph - 0.75 = 110 mph (car A is going at 110mph) (0.75 is the distance it is behind)

is this reasoning correct?
i subtracted the distance that he was behind from the rate of speed he was going at?
is that correct?

i am sorry i have been tardy in replying.
i struggle with math problems.
i need, please, if you would, to give me hints that are not too involved. break it down for me if you wanna help and i know you want to.
i am making ends meet but i would be willing to pay some money to someone who helps me with math reasoning.
i am really bad at this i want to learn math so much.
i saw someone answer this same problem but i want to understand the reason behind each step/ now i know the answer is 12 miles i saw his answer but no explanation no reason why. i want to learn. i am pleading for good help.
thank you for your support!!!

HallsofIvy

Elite Member
Hello

thanks to all of you. I was really busy and i was also trying to make some sense of Mr Subhotoh's tip.

if you were sitting in the car B, what will be the measured speed of car A (relative to car B)?

Speed A - speed B = 120 - 110 = 10 mph (I understand now. the wording of the question threw me off. I struggle with how to start off on a math problem big time!)

If A is travelling at 120 mph and is one lap (3/4 mile) behind, and B is travelling 110 mph, how many laps will it take A to catch up.

1 lap= 3/4 mile =0.75 mile
behind (keyword for subtraction)

car A 120mph - 0.75 = 110 mph (car A is going at 110mph) (0.75 is the distance it is behind)

is this reasoning correct?
i subtracted the distance that he was behind from the rate of speed he was going at?
is that correct?
So you are subtracting 0.75 km from 120 km/h? What are the units of the answer? How do you subtract "km" from "km/h"?

i am sorry i have been tardy in replying.
i struggle with math problems.
i need, please, if you would, to give me hints that are not too involved. break it down for me if you wanna help and i know you want to.
I strongly suggest that you focus on learning what units like "km" and "km/h" mean and what operations like "subtraction" and "multiplication" mean! It sounds like you have memorized a lot of things without knowing what they mean.

i am making ends meet but i would be willing to pay some money to someone who helps me with math reasoning.
i am really bad at this i want to learn math so much.
i saw someone answer this same problem but i want to understand the reason behind each step/ now i know the answer is 12 miles i saw his answer but no explanation no reason why. i want to learn. i am pleading for good help.
thank you for your support!!!

eddy2017

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP, GUYS. God bless!

HallsofIvy

Elite Member
just to wind this up: A is traveling at 120- 110= 10 mph relative to B so it will take A (3/4 mi)/(10 mi/h)= (3/4 mi)(1/10 h/mi)= 3/40 hour. A is doing 120 mi/h so will go (120 mi/h)*(3/40 h)= 9 mi. Since one lap is 3/4 mile/lap, 9 mi is (9 mi)/(3/4 mi/lap)= 12 laps. Notice how careful attention to the units can guide the calculation.

eddy2017

thanks to you hallssoflvy, and to every one. i had already found the answer and someone explained it to me, but thanks for your help. i will continue posting. the only thing i ask of the memeber here helping, please bear with me. i have some mathematical concepts well defined but i have never reasoned math before so i need to learn how to go at it. i need you to give me hints. that is why i like this site. hints but please, make it as clear as possible to see if i make any progress on mathematical reasoning. thank you guy, bless!
besides, this is no excuse, i know English but English is not my mother tongue. Spanish is

Last edited:

eddy2017

i need help with this
a basketball team has won 80% of the 40 games they have played so far to qualify for the post season, i f there are 40 games remaining, what is the minimum number of games remaining that they need to win to qualify

HallsofIvy

Elite Member
i need help with this
a basketball team has won 80% of the 40 games they have played so far to qualify for the post season, i f there are 40 games remaining, what is the minimum number of games remaining that they need to win to qualify
?? You say they have won 80% of the 40 games they have played so far, so they have won 0.8(40)= 32 games. But how many games do they need to win of the entire 80 games in order to qualify?? It is impossible to answer without knowing that!