how many liters...

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, dear friends and teacher: I am bringing this problem up before you.

In a factory, 144 machines produce an average of a dozen bags in a day. If one liter of lubricant is needed for the gears of 24 machines, how many liters of lubricant are needed to produce a dozen bags?

Thanks,
eddy

In a factory, 144 machines produce an average of a dozen bags in a day. If one liter of lubricant is needed for the gears of 24 machines, how many liters of lubricant are needed to produce a dozen bags?

Thanks,
eddy
You know the drill!

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

This is the data given in the problem.
144 machines produce 12 bags a day.
1 liter is needed to make 24 machines do the work
how many liters are needed to make the 12 bags?

This is the data given in the problem.
144 machines produce 12 bags a day.
1 liter is needed to make 24 machines do the work
how many liters are needed to make the 12 bags?
Now tell us what are YOUR thoughts about using "the given data" to calculate the "find" ("how many liters are needed")?

To start you off:

how many machines are needed to make 12 bags?

I need to find out how many liters in total are needed for all 144 machines.
I am gonna try to set up a proportion here.

1 liter = x
24 machines 144 machines

Is this a good proportion to try and find the amount of liters needed for the total of all machines(144)?.

Thanks,
eddy
One bag in production - comes out of a single machine - or does the "single bag" get manufactured by different operations or groups of operations through all the (144) machines?

a single bag gets manufactured by different operations or groups of operations through all the (144) machines.

The problem is not explicit about that. Let's see this scenario first and then, if you don't mind we can see the other scenario where each machines produces 12.

I tried dividing 144 into 24 to see how many liters of lubricant would be needed for all the machines.
I got 6 liters.
Is this correct?

Thank you, Mr Khan!.
I got scared at first, but this one was too easy. Thanks again.

That was the exact problem. It reads as you have read.
The other scenario is of my own creation when you mentioned (#8) the possibility of each machine making 12. The problem says
In factory, 144 machines produce an average of a dozen bags in a day...
No more nor less.

I think the problem is very poorly written.

As I read it, the average is over all the machines, not over many days; so each machine, by itself, produces entire bags, averaging one dozen bags a day.

I can't imagine needing 144 machines, one after the other, to make a single bag, and then only making one dozen bags in a day. Those would be some fancy bags!

Also, there is no mention of the time scale for the lubricant. Does it take one liter for each set of 24 machines each day, or something else? That's all I can see to assume.

So as I read it, each day we make one dozen bags per machine, times 144 machines. How many dozen bags is that? How much lubricant is needed? How many is that per dozen?

Well, agreed, it is poorly written but it is like that. I have not take anything away or added anything to it either. And I totally agree. It should be each machine doing a dozen daily.
If that's the case, then,
144 machine * 12 bags =1,728 bas that are being manufactured on a daily basis.

Now, the question is:
If one liter of lubricant is needed for to oil 24 machines, how many liters of lubricant are needed to produce a dozen bags?
uhmmm,
any hint?