How many palindromes can you identify and how odd is Dwight?

Curious111

Dwight was born on Sunday 6-23-46 and died Sunday 3-26-23. The odds that Dwight was born on a Sunday and died on a Sunday are 1 in 7. How many palindromes can you identify and how odd is Dwight?

Dwight was born on Sunday 6-23-46 and died Sunday 3-26-23. The odds that Dwight was born on a Sunday and died on a Sunday are 1 in 7. How many palindromes can you identify and how odd is Dwight?
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

READ BEFORE POSTING

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

4 palindromes are identified. 6-46 (month- year), 3-23 (month-year), 6-23 and 3-26 (month-day and month-day) and 3-26-23 (month-day-year).

What is the exact definition you've been given for how odd a person is?

Frankly if you have to ask that, then it is highly unlikely that you are suitable for the question of how odd is Dwight. The word odd can be found in any dictionary.

This is such an odd question, I have to ask: Where does it come from? It is just a puzzle, or what?

Also, my first impression when I saw the title was that it was a typo, and you meant "How old is Dwight?" That is, in fact, a question you could answer (particularly if it means "How old was Dwight at his death?" And it makes a lot more sense.

Also, the question contains a lie: the odds are not "1 in 7"; odds would be stated as "1 to 7", and even that is incorrect. (The probability that he was born and died on Sunday is 1; and the probability that an arbitrary person would be born and die on Sunday is 1/49.)

So I have to ask again, "Where in the world does this come from?"

You state that the chance that someone born on a Sunday and die on a Sunday is 1/49. What then may I ask is the chance that a person would die on their birthday?

If you say 1/365 in a non leap year, then you would be correct. And a person has a 1/7 chance of dying on the same day that they are born (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday etc.). So that was the context that I was referring to lacking specificity to day.

My niece received this question for the possibility of getting bonus points in her math class in college. Whether Dwight is real or fictive and hypothetical is unknown.

Frankly if you have to ask that, then it is highly unlikely that you are suitable for the question of how odd is Dwight. The word odd can be found in any dictionary.
Okay; then kindly please answer this:

What does it mean, specifically and exactly, for Dwight to be a whole number that is not a multiple of two?

What gradations of oddness (the "how" part) are you to consider?

I'm not entirely sure how to answer your question but the question is limited to the oddity of palindromes as related to dates. And there are four specific palindromes.

You state that the chance that someone born on a Sunday and die on a Sunday is 1/49. What then may I ask is the chance that a person would die on their birthday?
If you say 1/365 in a non leap year, then you would be correct. And a person has a 1/7 chance of dying on the same day that they are born (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday etc.). So that was the context that I was referring to lacking specificity to day.
Then you stated it incorrectly, by specifying the day. Are you quoting the question exactly as given by the teacher? (I hope not.)

The question is basically nonsense as stated. I wouldn't waste time on it.

I'm guilty of providing the odds on the Sunday Sunday which was wrong. Really it should have been the math professor of the class that state it more specifically. But no I don't think that it's a waste of time at all. It's very much a realistic question however meaningless it may be. Actually I did not know what a palindrome was until my niece presented me with the question.

The question specifically mentioned Sunday, not "same day".

The question simply stated that he was born on a Sunday and died on a Sunday but obviously not the same day

It's very much a realistic question however meaningless it may be
Well, this changes everything :)

We can do 2 things here:
1. Help you or your niece with the question, but we would need something _meaningful_ to work with.
2. Convert the question into something that makes sense and answer the new question, but how helpful would it be to your niece?

The question simply stated that he was born on a Sunday and died on a Sunday but obviously not the same day
I don't know where "The odds that Dwight was born on a Sunday and died on a Sunday are 1 in 7" comes from, you or the original question. But I was commenting on that.

Well thank goodness it's just an extra credit question for the class. But I think what is being solicited is an answer to the overall oddities that exist as a result of being born on a Sunday and dying on a Sunday and the four palindromes. It is no doubt a complex question, but has specific parameters. I believe that each of those palindromes have to be addressed independently of the other. And then I believe that multiplication enters into the equation when each answer is derived.

Well thank goodness it's just an extra credit question for the class. But I think what is being solicited is an answer to the overall oddities that exist as a result of being born on a Sunday and dying on a Sunday and the four palindromes. It is no doubt a complex question, but has specific parameters. I believe that each of those palindromes have to be addressed independently of the other. And then I believe that multiplication enters into the equation when each answer is derived.
So, by "odd", you mean "the probability is low for these various events occurring to a given person"?