How might Newton’s Method be used to find the square roots of numbers that are otherwise hard (eg, “the square root of 2”)?

ajaar

How might Newton’s Method be used to find the square roots of numbers that are otherwise hard (eg, “the square root of 2”)?

We could develop a general formula using the function:

[MATH]f(x)=x^2-k[/MATH] where \(0<k\)

Then we get the recursion:

[MATH]x_{n+1}=x_{n}-\frac{x_n^2-k}{2x_n}=\frac{1}{2}\left(x_n+\frac{k}{x_n}\right)[/MATH]

We could develop a general formula using the function:

[MATH]f(x)=x^2-k[/MATH] where \(0<k\)

Then we get the recursion:

[MATH]x_{n+1}=x_{n}-\frac{x_n^2-k}{2x_n}=\frac{1}{2}\left(x_n+\frac{k}{x_n}\right)[/MATH]
MarkFL has shown you the method - which is also known as Piccard's iteration. In the days of yore, without calculator's, (in INDIA) we use to use this method to approximate the square-root in head (without pencil and paper). The process goes something like this:

You want to calculate square root of 30. Guess an answer - doesnot have to be accurate. Say I guess 5.

N divide the original number (30) by your guess (5).

The result is 6 - far away from you original guess (5).

Now take an average of this quotient (6) and your immediately previous guess → [(5+6)/2 =] 5.5.

So your next guess is 5.5. Approximately divide the original number by this new guess (5.5) → [ 30/5.5 ~] 5.46 - close enough to my original guess.

So I guess √30 ~ 5.46. All these can be done by just thinking - without pencil and paper and of course calculator or slide rule or abacus .......