How to find when two curves intersect? I need help :0

Ineedhelp777

Hi I need help with this problem: Find all points at which the two curves intersect. r=1-2sintheta and r=2costheta.
I tried setting the two equations equal to each other but then I get stuck.

Last edited:
Please post your work so we can see where you got stuck and then we can direct you in the correct direction. Thanks.

I attached my work. I tried setting them equal to eachother. Then I tried solving sin and cos at one but my answer I got was different fro the one on the key. I will also attach the way it was solved on the key.Its problem #11.

Attachments

• IMG_1892.JPG
    IMG_1892.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1894.JPG
    IMG_1894.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I presume you quickly got to \(\displaystyle sin(\theta)+ cos(\theta)= \frac{1}{2}\). To go beyond that you will need a trig identity such as \(\displaystyle sin(a+ b)= sin(a)cos(b)+ cos(a)sin(b)\) taking \(\displaystyle b= \theta\). Of course, "sin(a)" and "cos(a)" can't both be one. Sin(a) and cos(a) are the same for \(\displaystyle a= \pi/4\) and then are both equal to \(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\). Multiplying both sides by that, and taking \(\displaystyle a= \pi/4\), \(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}sin(b+ \pi/4)= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}sin(b)+ \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}cos(b)\).

So, going back to the original equation, \(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}sin(\theta)+ \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}cos(\theta)= sin(\theta+ \pi/4)= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{4}\)..edited. Can you solve that equation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure that you don't have an extra sqrt(2)/2? I checked it three times.

Thank you for helping. I tried graping each equation and finding the intersection. I then got two values. I plugged those two values into r. I then multiplied the two values of r by y=rsintheta and x=costheta. I then found the two points. Thank you for your help.

Are you sure that you don't have an extra sqrt(2)/2? I checked it three times.
Jomo,

It will be very helpful if you use the "reply" button in the "response to be corrected".

Jomo,

It will be very helpful if you use the "reply" button in the "response to be corrected".
...It was immediately after Halls post. But you are a Super Moderator and I should listen to you. Thanks for the comment/instructions