how to prove the value of f = ( a + ((a+1)/3)*sqrt(((8*a-1)/3)^(1/3)) + nthroot(( a - ((a+1)/3)*sqrt(((8*a-1)/3), 3) is always 1

sallyyu2022

how to prove the value of f = ( a + ((a+1)/3)*sqrt(((8*a-1)/3)^(1/3)) + nthroot(( a - ((a+1)/3*sqrt(((8*a-1)/3),3) is always 1

I try to use X=a+b, Y=a-b ,when b= ((a+1)/3)*sqrt(((8*a-1)/3)^(1/3) to simplify the function and then prove that (X+Y)^3=1. However, I got stuck when I come to the expansion equation.

I assume that binomial theorem could be helpful to some steps in the process, but I am not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
how to prove the value of f = ( a + ((a+1)/3)*sqrt(((8*a-1)/3)^(1/3)) + nthroot(( a - ((a+1)/3*sqrt(((8*a-1)/3),3) is always 1

What value are you assigning to [imath]n[/imath]? What is the meaning of the comma before the last [imath]3[/imath]?

If possible, could you please post a picture of the expression in question?

I try to use X=a+b, Y=a-b ,when b= ((a+1)/3)*sqrt(((8*a-1)/3)^(1/3) to simplify the function and then prove that (X+Y)^3=1. However, I got stuck when I come to the expansion equation.

Could you post a picture of at least one of your attempts, so that we can see what you're doing?

I assume that binomial theorem could be helpful to some steps in the process, but I am not sure.

Why do you assume that the binomial theorem would be helpful?

Thank you!

This screenshot below show the original fucntion
1705555864969.png
I tried to observe the different results in matlab when a could be any different real number while larger or equal to 1/8 , so I offered a script in matlab. Maybe it cause some confusions.
I try to prove the cubic value of f is equal to 1 so that the funtion could be simplfied.
Firstly, I set X=a+b, Y=a-b ,and b=1705556478074.png.

Attachments

• 1705556587812.png
    1705556587812.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 1705556675215.png
    1705556675215.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Then the expansion equation of the cubic value of f is 1705556791342.png, where 1705556821678.pngis equal to 2a. However, I got stuck by how to deal with 1705556980181.png

Then the expansion equation of the cubic value of f is View attachment 36942, where View attachment 36943is equal to 2a. However, I got stuck by how to deal with View attachment 36944
Those terms, together, will be [imath]3XY(X+Y)[/imath]. Do the multiplication and the addition, and things will work out. If you're still stuck there, show us that part of your work.

By the way, I don't think it's standard to say "the cubic value of f"; you mean the cube of f, or the value of f^3. (And that is a good strategy.)

This screenshot below show the original fucntion
View attachment 36938
Firstly, I set X=a+b, Y=a-b ,and b=View attachment 36939.
I realize on second glance that you didn't type what you meant; what I assume you meant is

Let X^3 = a + b, and Y^3 = a - b.​

Then f^3 = (X + Y)^3 = X^3 + 3X^2Y + 3XY^2 + Y^3 = (X^3 + Y^3) + 3XY(X + Y). Since we don't have such simple expressions for X and Y themselves (they're cube roots), the last part isn't as nice as it initially seemed. There's more work to do.

Let [imath]\displaystyle x=\sqrt[3]{a+\frac{a+1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{8a-1}{3}}}[/imath] and [imath]\displaystyle y=\sqrt[3]{a-\frac{a+1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{8a-1}{3}}}[/imath]

Then, [imath]\displaystyle x^3=a+\frac{a+1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{8a-1}{3}}[/imath] and [imath]\displaystyle y^3=a-\frac{a+1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{8a-1}{3}}[/imath]

Hint: the sum of cubes and difference of cubes formulae are:
[imath]x^3+y^3=\left(x+y\right)\left(x^2-xy+y^2\right)[/imath]
[imath]x^3-y^3=\left(x-y\right)\left(x^2+xy+y^2\right)[/imath]

[math]\begin{aligned} x^3+y^3&=\left(x+y\color{black}\right)\left(x^2-xy+y^2\color{black}\right)\\&=\left(x+y\color{black}\right)\left(x^2\color{red}{+2xy}\color{black}+y^2-xy\color{red}{-2xy}\color{black}\right)\\ &=\left(x+y\color{black}\right)\left[\left(x+y\right)^2-3xy\right]\\ &=\left(x+y\color{black}\right)^3-3xy(x+y)\\ 0&=\underbrace{\left(x+y\color{black}\right)^3-\color{blue}x^3}_{\text{difference of cubes}}\color{black}-3xy(x+y)-\color{blue}y^3\\ &=(x+y-\color{blue}{x}\color{black})\left[(x+y)^2+(x+y)\color{blue}x\color{black}+\color{blue}{x}\color{black}^2\right]-3xy(x+y)-\color{blue}y^3\\ &=y\left[(x+y)^2+x(x+y)+x^2\right]+y\left[-3x(x+y)-y^2\right]\\ &=y\left[(x+y)^2+x(x+y)+x^2-3x(x+y)-y^2\right]\\ &=y\left[(x+y)^2-2x(x+y)+x^2-y^2\right]\\ &=y\left[(x+y)^2-2x(x+y)+(x+y)(x-y)\right]\\ &=y\left[(x+y)^2-\left\{2x(x+y)-(x+y)(x-y)\right\}\right]\\ &=y\left[(x+y)^2-(x+y)\left\{2x-(x-y)\right\}\right]\\ 0&=y\underbrace{\left[(x+y)^2-(x+y)\left\{x+y\right\}\right]}_{=0}\\ \end{aligned}[/math]
Now we know [imath]\displaystyle y^3=0=a-\frac{a+1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{8a-1}{3}}[/imath]
Solve: [imath]a=\dfrac{1}{2}[/imath]

Plug [imath]a=\dfrac{1}{2}[/imath] into [imath]\displaystyle x=\sqrt[3]{a+\frac{a+1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{8a-1}{3}}}=\sqrt[3]{1}[/imath], so [imath]x=1[/imath]

[imath]x+y=1+0=1[/imath], always.

Let [imath]\displaystyle x=\sqrt[3]{a+\frac{a+1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{8a-1}{3}}}[/imath] and [imath]\displaystyle y=\sqrt[3]{a-\frac{a+1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{8a-1}{3}}}[/imath]

Then, [imath]\displaystyle x^3=a+\frac{a+1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{8a-1}{3}}[/imath] and [imath]\displaystyle y^3=a-\frac{a+1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{8a-1}{3}}[/imath]

Hint: the sum of cubes and difference of cubes formulae are:
[imath]x^3+y^3=\left(x+y\right)\left(x^2-xy+y^2\right)[/imath]
[imath]x^3-y^3=\left(x-y\right)\left(x^2+xy+y^2\right)[/imath]
The step at which you solve for y, and then for a, is wrong. The expression is in fact equal to 1 for any (sufficiently large) value of a, not just for one value.

The step at which you solve for y, and then for a, is wrong. The expression is in fact equal to 1 for any (sufficiently large) value of a, not just for one value.
Realized the error (on my own). I was going to edit my post, but time expired. I should have said that y can equal anything, which includes zero. So y=0 gets only one solution for a, and it's not a proof.

Last edited:
Actually for [imath]1/8 \leq a \leq 1/2[/imath] if we stick to real numbers.

No, it's still defined (and real) past 1/2. Are you reading the cube roots as square roots?

I was intentionally not precise, but was observing that its domain starts at 1/8; one of the first things I'd done was to graph the function and see that it really is constant on that domain:

1705788623285.png

Ooops, I forgot that one can compute cube roots of negative values :( My Python script refused to do so, and I wasn't thinking clearly.

OK, I think I got it this time.

As before, [imath]\displaystyle x=\sqrt[3]{a+\frac{a+1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{8a-1}{3}}}[/imath] and [imath]\displaystyle y=\sqrt[3]{a-\frac{a+1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{8a-1}{3}}}[/imath]

Then, [imath]\displaystyle x^3=a+\frac{a+1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{8a-1}{3}}[/imath] and [imath]\displaystyle y^3=a-\frac{a+1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{8a-1}{3}}[/imath]. We ultimately want to solve for [imath]x+y[/imath]

Note that [imath]x^3+y^3=2a[/imath] and [imath]\displaystyle xy=\sqrt[3]{a^2-\left(\frac{a+1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{8a-1}{3}}\right)^2}=\sqrt[3]{\frac{-8a^3+12a^2-6a+1}{27}}=-\frac{2a-1}{3}[/imath]

The sum of cubes can be expanded:
[imath]\begin{aligned}x^3+y^3&=2a\\\left(x+y\right)\left(x^2-xy+y^2\right)&=\\\left(x+y\right)\left(x^2+2xy+y^2-xy-2xy\right)&=\\\left(x+y\right)\left[\left(x+y\right)^2-3\underbrace{xy}_{\text{sub. in }xy}\right]&=\\\left(x+y\right)\left[\left(x+y\right)^2-3\left(-\frac{2a-1}{3}\right)\right]&=\\\left(x+y\right)\left[\left(x+y\right)^2+\left(2a-1\right)\right]&=\\\left(x+y\right)^3+\left(2a-1\right)\left(x+y\right)&=2a\\\left(x+y\right)^3+\left(2a-1\right)\left(x+y\right)-2a&=0\\\underbrace{\left(x+y\right)^3-1}_{\text{difference of cubes}}+\left(2a-1\right)\left(x+y\right)-2a+1&=\\\left(x+y-1\right)\left[(x+y)^2+(x+y)+1\right]+\left(2a-1\right)\left(x+y\right)-(2a-1)&=\\\left(x+y-1\right)\left[(x+y)^2+(x+y)+1\right]+\left(2a-1\right)\left[\left(x+y\right)-1\right]&=\\\left(x+y-1\right)\left[(x+y)^2+(x+y)+1+(2a-1)\right]&=\\\left(x+y-1\right)\left[(x+y)^2+(x+y)+2a\right]&=0\\\end{aligned}[/imath]

We can say that [imath](x+y-1)=0[/imath] and thus, [imath]\color{red}x+y=1[/imath], as the question wanted us to prove.
OR
[imath]\displaystyle (x+y)^2+(x+y)+2a=0\rightarrow s^2+s+2a=0\rightarrow s=x+y=\frac{-1\pm\sqrt{1-4(2a)}}{2}[/imath]

Observing that [imath]\displaystyle\sqrt{\frac{8a-1}{3}}\geq0[/imath], to stay in the reals, the smallest value for a is [imath]\dfrac{1}{8}[/imath]. For any [imath]a>\dfrac{1}{8}[/imath], the discriminant above is negative and we're no longer in the reals.

Last edited: