How to simplify this Boolean expression?

chamarawix

(A.B.C)+(A'.B.C)+(A.B'.C)+(A.B.C')

I tried up to some extend in different ways. But got stuck in the middle.
(B.C) + A(B'.C + B.C')
Answer should be A.B+A.C+B.C
Please help.

Their result might be easier to obtain using Karnaugh maps (but only if you have already studied them in class).

Using algebra
(B.C) + A(B'.C + B.C')
(B.C) + A.B.C + A(B'.C + B.C') <--- see * below
(B.C) + A(B.C + B'.C + B.C')
can you take it from here?

* you can bring A.B.C back in because it does not affect the end result AND I spotted that it's a useful thing to do. I'm not sure I would have spotted this without seeing their end result!

Their result might be easier to obtain using Karnaugh maps (but only if you have already studied them in class).

Using algebra
(B.C) + A(B'.C + B.C')
(B.C) + A.B.C + A(B'.C + B.C') <--- see * below
can you take it from here?

* you can bring A.B.C back in because it does not affect the end result AND I spotted that it's a useful thing to do. I'm not sure I would have spotted this without seeing their end result!

Thanks for your solution. Am I right?

(B.C) + A(C(B + B') + B.C')
(B.C) + A(C + B.C')
(B.C) + A(C + B)
B.C + A.C + A.B

But, I'm not much clear about taking ABC in to this. Could you please explain.

Thanks for your solution. Am I right?

(B.C) + A(C(B + B') + B.C')
(B.C) + A(C + B.C')
(B.C) + A(C + B)
B.C + A.C + A.B

With a bit more experience you might be able to spot that B.C + B'.C + B.C' = B+C which would lead to a quicker solution. Think about the truth table of the LHS. However your method is absolutely fine and you got the correct result, so WELL DONE.

But, I'm not much clear about taking ABC in to this. Could you please explain.

This is hard to explain. You can probably see that A(B'.C + B.C') on its own can't be simplified further. But when this expression is ORd with another expression it can often lead to a simplification. An extreme example would be 1 + A(B'.C + B.C') which obviously simplifies to 1.

In your question I could see, from looking at the answer, that A(B'.C + B.C') had to become A(B+C). Look at the truth table for these...
Code:
A  B  C  A(B'C+BC')  A(B+C)
1  0  0     0        0
1  0  1     1        1
1  1  0     1        1
1  1  1     0    --> 1 <--

So, in order to turn A(B'.C + B.C') into A(B+C) I just need to OR it with the highlighted "1" above, and luckily this "1" ( A.B.C ) could be "extracted" from the "BC+" on the left.

Can you see that +A.B.C can be added to B.C without changing the expression?
B.C + A.B.C = 1.B.C + A.B.C = (1+A).B.C = B.C