How to solve for how many square meters of steel are needed to build pool

Yamin

Hi guys so I quite lost with this formula and how to calculate if anyone could help simplify the formula

Attachments

• IMG_5406.png
    IMG_5406.png
    290.4 KB · Views: 11
Hi guys so I quite lost with this formula and how to calculate if anyone could help simplify the formula
You have been given three formulas. With which one are you having confusion?

Please re-read the "Read Before Posting" message, and reply with the requested information, so that we may begin to work with you. Thank you!

Hi @Yamin,

It is not possible to "
simplify" any of the three formulas you have been given! They are already in their simplest form.

However, I don't think that help to simplify the formulas is what you really need! I suspect that you just don't know which one(s) to use and for what purpose(s).

Your English makes me think it may not be your first language but the help I will offer depends on you being able to understand it at a reasonable level and not just my English, because I am going to direct you to a video that is also in English.

When I play this video it also displays (English) subtitles which may be of help if you are struggling to understand what is being said (you may have to turn them "on"). And you can always pause (spacebar) and drag it back a bit if necessary (spacebar again to restart it).

More about the video later...

So, moving on to "
how to calculate". If you really don't know how to use a formula then we are in big trouble but I will summarize the steps for you:-
(I am hoping you actually know this already!)

1. Choose the (correct) formula (for Area, Circumference or Volume).

2. Write down the Formula.
(eg: to find the Area of a Circle of radius 3 cm, use A = πr²)

3. Write down the the things you know.
(π = 3.14 (you are given that) and r = 3 cm)

4. Substitute these values into your formula.
(A = πr² becomes A = 3.14 × 3²)

5. Work out the answer.
(A = 3.14 × 3²  =  3.14 × 9  =  28.26)

So the Area of a circle whose radius is 3 cm is 28.26 cm².

Now, I hope you really didn't need that because I think your problem is that you just don't know what you are expected to work out and which formula(s) are needed to do it.

I will give you a link to a video that explains very well what you need to do but you must watch it all the way through and be sure you understand each step as it is carried out.

The vide is called: "Cylinder volume & surface area" and the first part is all about how to calculate the Volume of a cylinder. The presenter talks about the cylinder he is working on as being like a "can of soda" (or, I might say: a tin of soup or a tin of beans?) and shows you how to calculate the Volume of that can.

However, your pool is just like a tin of soup once it is opened and the top has been completely removed! It has a (circular) bottom and sides but there is no top to it!

The second part of the video goes on to calculate the Surface Area of the cylinder and this is where you need to pay particular attention.

It should become clear to you how to tackle your problem once you have watched the video all the way through (and enough times to ensure you understand it completely); then you can make an adjustment for the fact that your "cylinder" has no top!

Important: when you visit the (YouTube) web page with the video on it, you should immediately hit the spacebar to pause it. Look at the picture below. You should first click on the icon I have circled in red (& numbered as 1) to make the video display "full screen".

2023-06-30.png

Now press the spacebar to start it playing again. If the subtitles do not appear then click the icon I have circled in green (& numbered as 2). At any time you can pause/restart the video using the spacebar (Space) and drag it back to any earlier time by clicking on the red dot on the timeline and holding/dragging it to the left.

OK? So now you should be ready to watch the video and learn how to solve your problem. Just make sure you watch it all the way through (at least once, more than once if necessary).

Below is the link to the video that will help you to solve your problem.

Just click here.

Hope that helps. ?

Last edited:

One very important point should be clarified before you start to "do calculation". That point being:

What is exactly being asked of you ?

Why did the problem statement include the information regarding the fence?

Did you present the WHOLE problem exactly as it was presented to you?