How to solve this limit

Start by putting them over a common denominator: [imath]\displaystyle\frac{3}{1-x^{1/2}}-\frac{2}{1-x^{1/3}}=\frac{3\left(1-x^{1/3}\right)-2\left(1-x^{1/2}\right)}{\left(1-x^{1/2}\right)\left(1-x^{1/3}\right)}[/imath]

Then let [imath]\displaystyle x=\lim_{h\to0}\left(1+h\right)[/imath], and substitute in:

[imath]\displaystyle\frac{3\left(1-\left(1+h\right)^{1/3}\right)-2\left(1-\left(1+h\right)^{1/2}\right)}{\left(1-\left(1+h\right)^{1/2}\right)\left(1-\left(1+h\right)^{1/3}\right)}[/imath]

Express the square root and the cube root as their binomial expansions:

[imath]\displaystyle1-\left(1+h\right)^{1/2}=1-\left(1+\frac{h}{2}-\frac{h^2}{8}\right)=-\frac{h}{2}+\frac{h^2}{8}[/imath]
[imath]\displaystyle1-\left(1+h\right)^{1/3}=1-\left(1+\frac{h}{3}-\frac{h^2}{9}\right)=-\frac{h}{3}+\frac{h^2}{9}[/imath]

Plug these expansions into the above.

After you do the algebra, you'll have [imath]h^2[/imath] as the dominant terms in both numerator and denominator. Cancel all the [imath]h^2[/imath] and then the answer is [imath]\displaystyle\frac{1}{2}[/imath]

Do you mean you do not know how to apply L'Hopital or you have been instructed not to use it?

Do you mean you do not know how to apply L'Hopital or you have been instructed not to use it?
I mean I'm trying to help a student that it's just starting with limits and applying L'hopital would be seen as cheating. 10years I haven't done a limit so, yeah, need help with this one.

Start by putting them over a common denominator: [imath]\displaystyle\frac{3}{1-x^{1/2}}-\frac{2}{1-x^{1/3}}=\frac{3\left(1-x^{1/3}\right)-2\left(1-x^{1/2}\right)}{\left(1-x^{1/2}\right)\left(1-x^{1/3}\right)}[/imath]

Then let [imath]\displaystyle x=\lim_{h\to0}\left(1+h\right)[/imath], and substitute in:

[imath]\displaystyle\frac{3\left(1-\left(1+h\right)^{1/3}\right)-2\left(1-\left(1+h\right)^{1/2}\right)}{\left(1-\left(1+h\right)^{1/2}\right)\left(1-\left(1+h\right)^{1/3}\right)}[/imath]

[imath]\displaystyle1-\left(1+h\right)^{1/2}=1-\left(1+\frac{h}{2}-\frac{h^2}{8}\right)=-\frac{h}{2}+\frac{h^2}{8}[/imath]
[imath]\displaystyle1-\left(1+h\right)^{1/3}=1-\left(1+\frac{h}{3}-\frac{h^2}{9}\right)=-\frac{h}{3}+\frac{h^2}{9}[/imath]

Plug these expansions into the above.

After you do the algebra, you'll have [imath]h^2[/imath] as the dominant terms in both numerator and denominator. Cancel all the [imath]h^2[/imath] and then the answer is [imath]\displaystyle\frac{1}{2}[/imath]
Saying what I said above, I think her teacher don't expect her to know this either, but I'll go for this one. And thank you very much.

[imath]\displaystyle1-\left(1+h\right)^{1/2} =1-\left(1+\frac{h}{2}-\frac{h^2}{8}\right)=...[/imath]
[imath]\displaystyle1-\left(1+h\right)^{1/3} = 1-\left(1+\frac{h}{3}-\frac{h^2}{9}\right)=...[/imath]

Those expansions are approximate.

[imath]\displaystyle1-\left(1+h\right)^{1/2} \approx1-\left(1+\frac{h}{2}-\frac{h^2}{8}\right)=...[/imath]
[imath]\displaystyle1-\left(1+h\right)^{1/3}\approx 1-\left(1+\frac{h}{3}-\frac{h^2}{9}\right)=...[/imath]

Also, I don't recommend that way, nor should you give the numerical answer at this point.

Last edited:
It can't be solve with L'hopital and I have no clue on how to do it.

View attachment 35186

juanpnav, you have a square root term and a cube root term. This problem lends itself to an optional substitution.

Let \(\displaystyle \ u = x^6. \ \ \) That will get rid of the radicals. As x approaches 1, u also approaches 1.

The expression of which you are taking the limit becomes:

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{3}{1 - u^3} \ - \ \dfrac{2}{1 - u^2} \ =\)

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{1 - u} \bigg(\dfrac{3}{1 + u + u^2} \ - \ \dfrac{2}{1 + u}\bigg) \ = \)

Please continue on and post some work on the thread as needed.