How would I input this in a graphing calculator?

paperroutedn

How would I input f(x)=x^2 to obtain g(x)=-(x-3)^2+5 in a graphing calculator?

Thanks

welp.JPG

Last edited:
I don't think they're asking you to make Geogebra do the transformations for you; you are to list the transformations (e.g. a horizontal translation, a reflection over the x-axis, and so on), then apply them one at a time, in the order you list them, and then graph each step. So you might graph y=x^2, then y=(x-3)^2, and so on. This is what "the resulting function after each transformation" means.

I don't think they're asking you to make Geogebra do the transformations for you; you are to list the transformations (e.g. a horizontal translation, a reflection over the x-axis, and so on), then apply them one at a time, in the order you list them, and then graph each step. So you might graph y=x^2, then y=(x-3)^2, and so on. This is what "the resulting function after each transformation" means.
Oh okay so like 4 graphs total? Did I do it correctly?

1612827238837.png

1612827252050.png

1612827264503.png

1612827284906.png

Your final graph is actually right, but the expression you typed and the order of your translations isn't. Invert the graph over the y-axis before you translate by 5. The label on your graph should be [math]g(x) = -(x - 3)^2 - 5[/math].

-Dan

Your final graph is actually right, but the expression you typed and the order of your translations isn't. Invert the graph over the y-axis before you translate by 5. The label on your graph should be [math]g(x) = -(x - 3)^2 - 5[/math].

-Dan
I think the expression is right; that's what was given. But the reflection does have to be done before the translation.

@paperroutedn: Please show what came before what you originally showed. It seems to say that something previously "shows the necessary transformations". My expectation is that either they told you the transformations in words, or they told you to do so, and that is perhaps the most important part of the exercise.

I think the expression is right; that's what was given. But the reflection does have to be done before the translation.

@paperroutedn: Please show what came before what you originally showed. It seems to say that something previously "shows the necessary transformations". My expectation is that either they told you the transformations in words, or they told you to do so, and that is perhaps the most important part of the exercise.
Long as I got the concept I should be okay. They could have said please sketch each function or equation, so it will appear as a 'graph' instead of making it wordy.

Long as I got the concept I should be okay. They could have said please sketch each function or equation, so it will appear as a 'graph' instead of making it wordy.
The main point of the assignment isn't really the graph, but the concept of transformations. One important part of understanding transformations is learning how the order in which you do them matters; that's why your doing the vertical shift before the reflection is significant. That's also why I'd like to see what they said about stating the transformations, to help you understand the whole problem.