Hypothesis Testing: Coach has worked at the same university for 20 years....

JabberJinx

A well-known basketball coach has coached at the same university for 20 years. After what seems like an infinite number of seasons, he finds that the mean number of points his teams score is 72. One year he has an exceptionally tall team. The coach wants to know if the taller team results in a greater number of points scored. Assume 72 to be the population mean with the population variance unknown. The taller team's scores are: 80, 88, 74, 82, 89, 90, 68, 95, 96, 72, 73 (it was a short season).

State the null and research hypotheses.

1) Report degrees of freedom (if applicable).

2) Report the critical value using alpha= .05.

3) Calculate the test statistic.

4) In two or three sentences, briefly explain the results

(This includes your decision concerning the null hypothesis).

I've decided so far that my null hypothesis is p less than or equal to 72. Research hypothesis is p greater than 72. I'm not certain about this. The rest has me completely stumped.

A well-known basketball coach has coached at the same university for 20 years. After what seems like an infinite number of seasons, he finds that the mean number of points his teams score is 72. One year he has an exceptionally tall team. The coach wants to know if the taller team results in a greater number of points scored. Assume 72 to be the population mean with the population variance unknown. The taller team's scores are: 80, 88, 74, 82, 89, 90, 68, 95, 96, 72, 73 (it was a short season).

State the null and research hypotheses.

1) Report degrees of freedom (if applicable).

2) Report the critical value using alpha= .05.

3) Calculate the test statistic.

4) In two or three sentences, briefly explain the results

(This includes your decision concerning the null hypothesis).

I've decided so far that my null hypothesis is p less than or equal to 72. Research hypothesis is p greater than 72. I'm not certain about this. The rest has me completely stumped.
What is p? You need to define p.
To answer the rest, you need to determine which test statistic is appropriate.

Here I assume, you want to compare the means - and determine whether the sample mean is significantly higher than the population mean. What type of test do you need to conduct?