I’m stuck everywhere I don’t know a single thing to do

Sisjssj

Hugo gave 1/4 of his money and an additional $1 to Calvin. He gave 1/5 of the remaining money and an additional $4 to Kenneth. The amount of money Hugo had left in the end was $31 more than the amount of money he gave to Kenneth. Find the amount of money Hugo gave to Calvin.

You need to set up an equation and solve it. Have you solved or looked at example solutions for this type of problems?

I’m stuck everywhere I don’t know a single thing to do

Hugo gave 1/4 of his money and an additional $1 to Calvin. He gave 1/5 of the remaining money and an additional $4 to Kenneth. The amount of money Hugo had left in the end was $31 more than the amount of money he gave to Kenneth. Find the amount of money Hugo gave to Calvin.

Assuming you are studying algebra, you have been taught the first thing to do: Define a variable. That is, give a name to the unknown number.

So, here's the first step: Let x = the amount of money Hugo starts with (in dollars).

Now start writing an expression for the amount Hugo has after each step. I'd keep track of how much of the money each person has at each step.

I have to add that this is a rather difficult problem of its type, so if you have been assigned it, you have surely seen a lot of algebra, and your claim is nonsense. What you really mean is, you don't see a quick way to an answer. Well, there isn't one. You have to be willing to just do whatever you can do, not expecting it to be easy. And the need to plod through hard problems is part of the reason we insist that you do the work yourself, because that's something you only learn by experience: that patient work will be rewarded with success ... eventually.

Let H be the amount of money had initially, C the amount Calvin had, and K the amount Kenneth had.

Hugo gave 1/4 of his money and an additional $1 to Calvin.
So Hugo gave Calvin (1/4)H+ 1.
Now Hugo has H- (1/4)H- 1= (3/4)H- 1 and Calvin has C+ (1/4)H+ 1.

He gave 1/5 of the remaining money and an additional $4 to Kenneth.
Hugo's "remaining money" is (3/4)H- 1 and 1/5 of that is (3/20)H- 1/5. Hugo gave Kenneth (3/20)H- 1/5+ 4= (3/20)H+ 19/5. The Hugo had (3/5)H- 1- (3/20)H- 19/5= (9/20)H- 24/5 and Kenneth had K+ (3/20)H+ 19/5.

The amount of money Hugo had left in the end was $31 more than the amount of money he gave to Kenneth. Find the amount of money Hugo gave to Calvin.
The amount of money Hugo had left in the end is (9/20)H- 24/5 and the amount he gave to Kenneth was (3/20)H+ 19/5 so (9/20)H- 24/5= (3/20)H+ 19/5+ 31. Solve that equation for H. The amount Hugo gave Calvin was, as above, (1/4)H+ 1.

QUOTE="Sisjssj, post: 534806, member: 92440"]
So is the answer 21
[/QUOTE]
That's not what I get. Show how you got 21.