I am having trouble with this trig question. I'm not sure why I'm given 3 sides.

omgineedhelp123

Landon walks 260 km due north, then 200 km due west, and finally 305 km due south. How far is Landon from his starting point?C8CC5E03-2CD8-4A62-A7C5-EFF639D29519.jpeg

Landon walks 260 km due north, then 200 km due west, and finally 305 km due south. How far is Landon from his starting point?
Hi omginh. The 305km side ought to be parallel to the 260km side. (Streets that run north-south are parallel to one another.)

Also, after walking north, Landon takes a left and goes west. You've drawn the 200km side as if Landon turned right and went east, instead.

Let us know, if you'd like more help.

:)

[imath]\;[/imath]

Hi Otis,
Thank you for the reply, Is there any way you can show me a visual of this question. I still don't understand?

Landon walks 260 km due north, then 200 km due west, and finally 305 km due south. How far is Landon from his starting point?
Draw an arrow pointing up (north). From the tip, draw an arrow pointing left (west). Then, from that tip, draw an arrow pointing down (south).

To answer the question, you might think in terms of coordinates, calling the starting point the origin. Or you might have a different idea. What idea do you have?

(This is not really about trigonometry at all, since all the angles are right angles. But the Pythagorean theorem is of use.)

Hi omginh. Were you able to finish?

:)

[imath]\;[/imath]