I can't seem to get this right

luegmirzue

The admission prices for the Coca-Cola Museum are shown. A family purchased 2 more children's tickets than adult tickets, and 1 less senior ticket than adult tickets. The total cost of the tickets was $32. How many of each type of ticket did they purchase?
ADMISSION PRICES
Adults $7
Seniors $6
Children $3

Let's see one of your attempts. We'll redirect you where you wondered off.

What does "I can't seem" mean (sometimes elongated to "I can't seem for the life of me") :?: :?:

luegmirzue said:
The admission prices for the Coca-Cola Museum are shown. A family purchased 2 more children's tickets than adult tickets, and 1 less senior ticket than adult tickets. The total cost of the tickets was $32. How many of each type of ticket did they purchase?
ADMISSION PRICES
Adults $7
Seniors $6
Children $3

Assume

# of Adult tickets purchased = A

# of children tickets purchased = A + 2 (Why?)

# of senior tickets purchased = ????

Now continue......

ok you know they purchased 2 more child tickets than adult tickets and one less senior ticket than adult. so start with 1 adult ticket 3 kids tickets and 0 seniors. =$15 which isnt high enough. so try increasing them all by one.

Subhotosh Khan said:
luegmirzue said:
ADMISSION PRICES
Adults $7
Seniors $6
Children $3

Assume

# of Adult tickets purchased = A

# of children tickets purchased = A + 2

# of senior tickets purchased = A - 1

Then total cost of purchase:

A*7 + (A+2)*3 + (A-1)*6 = 32

16*A = 32

A = 2

So tickets purchased:

Adult = 2

Children = 4

Senior = 1

Check:

2* 7 + 4*3 + 1*6 = 14 + 12 + 6 = 32 ...... checks.