I do not understand Algebra

lialah_mae

I have just been introduced to algebra through school but no matter how hard anyone tries to explain it to me, it doesn't make any sense. If anyone could find a way to help me understand, I would be very grateful. ?

It would help if you could give concrete examples of what you do not understand.

What I have found from tutoring students starting algebra is that their main difficulties come from not understanding the vocabulary or from not understanding literal notation.

If the words being used seem mysterious, ask us to explain specific words. You cannot understand what your teacher is trying to tell you if the words being used sound like Romanian to you. This is a frequent problem for beginning students of algebra. We can help with that.

There is also a conceptual hurdle that seems very hard for a great many beginning students.

Starting at about age 3, you learned that certain symbols called numerals identify specific numbers. So 3 always represents the number three. In algebra, however, we use letters TEMPORARILY as names for numbers that we do not yet know. In one problem, x may turn out to be 1/2. In another problem, x may turn out to 347. It’s like saying “the boy with the red jacket” if we don’t know the boy’s name. If we have a problem with x and y, we could just as well use ? for x and ? for y. And we can do a strange but very easy sort of arithmetic with these letters. What is 3 more than the unknown number we have temporarily called x? The answer is x + 3 or 3 + x. You get used to it, but at first it seems really, really peculiar. Don’t worry: most students find it weird at first.

Again, the best way to use this site is to read “READ BEFORE POSTING” and then post specific homework problems and do one of four things:

1 Ask what the question means. (BE SURE TO GIVE THE ACTUAL WORDS COMPLETELY.)

2 Show the work you were able to do and try to explain what stopped you from going further.

3 Ask us to confirm your answer.

4 Show us your work and your answer, and ask us why the book or teacher said your answer was wrong.

I have just been introduced to algebra through school but no matter how hard anyone tries to explain it to me, it doesn't make any sense. If anyone could find a way to help me understand, I would be very grateful.
Here is a true story. I along with my friend Bob were called to meet in the office of the VP for academic affairs.
Bob was the chair (dean in some universities) of natural sciences and I was chair of the mathematical sciences.
It seemed that a student has complained about both our divisions.
It seemed that there was a threaten lawsuit. Even though we were a regional state university.
Here it was: chemistry does not contradict Genius nor does non-Euclidean geometry.

Here is a true story. I along with my friend Bob were called to meet in the office of the VP for academic affairs.
Bob was the chair (dean in some universities) of natural sciences and I was chair of the mathematical sciences.
It seemed that a student has complained about both our divisions.
It seemed that there was a threaten lawsuit. Even though we were a regional state university.
Here it was: chemistry does not contradict Genius nor does non-Euclidean geometry.
@pka

Genesis?

I have just been introduced to algebra through school but no matter how hard anyone tries to explain it to me, it doesn't make any sense. If anyone could find a way to help me understand, I would be very grateful. ?

Algebra is tough to understand since it is such a vast topic. I think what you need to do is not think about understanding Algebra as a whole but rather think about trying to understand a few things that algebra can be used for. I don't think even some math teachers understand Algebra. I know it sounds crazy but it's like most famous musicians, they have no idea how to read music and they don't understand music theory but they can still play at a high level. And in most cases they can play better than people who do understand music theory and can read music.

Many math teachers are just naturals. I think there are loads of math teachers who don't understand Algebra but they can use it s a tool or a vehicle to solve problems.. When they were young many of them could just look at an equations and solve them without even being shown how to do it. For most of us we need examples and we need to see what algebra can do as a tool. So in your case start with linear equations.

and then learn the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra