I don't remember how to find points, given line equation

hape2knit

Please help...find the coordinates of two points on the line with the given equation.

y=7/8x-11

I don't remember how to get rid of the fraction.

Thanks!

Re: Please help...I don't remember how...

y=7/8x-11
\(\displaystyle y=\frac{7}{8}x-11\)

Multily both sides of the equation (all terms) by the denominator of the fraction.

hape2knit said:
Please help...find the coordinates of two points on the line with the given equation.

y=7/8x-11

I don't remember how to get rid of the fraction.

Thanks!

y = (7/8)x - 11

You can find two points on the line this way. Pick a number to use for x (since you are going to be multiplying that value of x by 7/8, it might be a good idea to pick a multiple of 8 to use....and 0 is always a good choice).

Suppose we pick 0 as the value of x. Substitute 0 for x in the equation:

y = (7/8)*0 - 11
y = 0 - 11
y = -11
So, when x = 0, y = -11 and the point (0, -11) is on the line.

Now...pick another value to use for x. Suppose we choose 16 as the value for x. Substitute 16 for x in the equation:
y = (7/8)*16 - 11
You do the arithmetic on the right side to find the value of y...and you'll have the coordinates of another point on the line.

OHHHHHH...it has been so long since I've done this type of problem. I was trying to be more concrete rather than choose a number. I think I can help my son now. Thank you for spelling it out! ~: }

Do you remember that by multiplying both sides of an equation by a non-zero number you change the looks of the equation? Both equations have same characteristics. The graphs of the two equations will be the same. Therefore you can do the "choose a number" thing for either equation and you will get the same result.

y=(7/8)x-11........If x=8 then y=-4. The point (8,-4) satisfies the equation.

8y=7x-88...........If x=8 then 8y=56-88, 8y=-32, y=-4. Same result as above.