I have no clue pls help urgent: Davis wants to buy 9 bars of chocolate but is short of $ 2.50...

Kaveraa

Davis wants to buy 9 bars of chocolate but is short of $ 2.50
If he buys 2 bars of chocolate he will have $5.20 left. How much does each bar of chocolate cost?

Pls help

If he buys 2 bars of chocolate he will have $5.20 left. How much does each bar of chocolate cost?

What are your thoughts? What have you tried? Where are you getting stuck? ("Read Before Posting")

For instance, you know that he wants nine boxes. After the first two boxes, he's got $5.20 left. If he tried to buy the remaining seven boxes, he'd be $2.50 short. Then how much does it cost for the remaining seven boxes? Then how much is one box?

Let x = cost of each candy bar
How much money does Davis starts with??
If he buys 2 bars of chocolate he will have $5.20 left. So he starts off the day with 2x + $5.20
Davis wants to buy 9 bars of chocolate but is short of $ 2.50. So he starts the day off with 9x-2.50.
Continue from here....

What are your thoughts? What have you tried? Where are you getting stuck? ("Read Before Posting")

For instance, you know that he wants nine boxes. After the first two boxes, he's got $5.20 left. If he tried to buy the remaining seven boxes, he'd be $2.50 short. Then how much does it cost for the remaining seven boxes? Then how much is one box?
You explained that very nicely!

Hello Kaveraa. First, formulate the two variables:
-> c: Price of chocolate in dollars
-> m: money in dollars

Then use these variables to describe the situation:
(I) "... buy 9 bars of chocolate but is short of $ 2.50 ..."

(II) "... buys 2 bars of chocolate he will have $5.20 left ..."

Now you have a system of equations with two equations and two unknowns, which is easy to solve.

What are the equations and what is the result?

Mathematical greetings from Leonie

Pls help
almost a month has gone by and OP is AWOL. Following up from response #5
(i) 2*C + 5.20 = m = 9 * C - 2.50

5.20 + 2.5 = 9*C - 2 *C

7.70 = 7 * C

C = 1.1

Each bar of chocolate costs $ 1.10.

check

(i)2*C+5.2 =2*1.1+5.2 =2.2+5.2=7.40 (=m)
(2)9*C-2.5=9.9-2.5=7.4=m...checks