I have stats paper in 10 hours.

Pzychoderek

A manufacturer makes two models of an item: model I, which accounts for 80% of unit sales, and model II, which accounts for 20% of unit sales. Because of defects, the manufacturer has to replace (or exchange) 10% of its model I and 18% of its model II. If a model is selected at random, find the probability that it will be defective.

probablity will be 28/100. Right?

A manufacturer makes two models of an item: model I, which accounts for 80% of unit sales, and model II, which accounts for 20% of unit sales. Because of defects, the manufacturer has to replace (or exchange) 10% of its model I and 18% of its model II. If a model is selected at random, find the probability that it will be defective.

probablity will be 28/100. Right?
With what process (and logic) did you get that number for answer?

You did not respond to our questions posed to you at:

The probability that the model will be model 1 and defective is what?

The probability that the model will be model 2 and defective is what?

The probability that the model selected is defective = the probability that the selected model is #1 and defective or #2 and defective.

How do we compute the probability of a or b.

You should get on that.

Not sure what you did. How did you calculate it? Did you just add the two probabilities? No.

Do you mean, "If you pick one item, ..." If you pick a whole model, you've already told us the probabilities.

Perhaps you could calculate the total number of defectives in a collection of 1,000 items. That might lead somewhere.

I iterate TKHunny's suggestion, "Perhaps you could calculate the total number of defectives in a collection of 1,000 items."

In 1000 such items. 80%, 800, are model I, 20%, 200, are model II. Of the 800 of model I, 10%, 80, are defective. Of the 200 of model II, 18%, 36, are defective. So how many of the 1000 items are defective?

If you have a stats paper due in 10 hours, and you don't respond to suggestions or question in three days, what's the probability that we'll be able to help you at all?

Let me see- 0.001 cubed is .0000001and divide by 36...
Surely you mean to divide by 3 * 24 = 72 rather than to divide by 36.

You need to retire to the corner and commune a few minutes with the kindly spirit of denis.