I need clarity

khris le

1649956577537.png
This picture is a composite function question. The solution for it is in red.
My answer would be (g(f(x))) = (4x+3)^3
= 16x +9

I don't understand why the 16 x is cubed or there is a 24x

View attachment 32133
= 16x +9

Well [imath](4x+3)^2=[(4)^2]x^2+(2)(4)(3)x+(3)^2=16x^2+24x+9[/imath]
[imath]g\circ f(x)=g(f(x))=(4x+3)^2[/imath]

Last edited:
Well [imath](4x+3)^2=[(4)^2]x^2+(2)(4)(3)x+(3)^2=16x^2+24x+9[/imath]
[imath]g\circ f(x)=g(f(x))=(4x+3)^2[/imath]
sorry I still don't understand. So I get that I had to square the 4 and x separately now but where did the + (2) (4) (3)x come from?

[imath](a+b)^=a^2+2ab+b^2[/imath] ,
If [imath]g(x)=3x^2-4x+5)[/imath] then [imath]g(7)[=3(7^2)-4(7)+5=3(49)-28+5[/imath] ,also [imath]\color{blue}g(f)=3f^2-4f+5[/imath]
Then if [imath]f(x)=3x-2[/imath] then [imath]g\circ f(x)=\color{blue}g(f(x))=3(3x-2)^2-4(3x-2)+5[/imath]

Last edited:
sorry I still don't understand. So I get that I had to square the 4 and x separately now but where did the + (2) (4) (3)x come from?
[math](4x+3)^2=(4x+3)(4x+3)\stackrel{FOIL}{=}16x^2+12x+12x+9=16x^2+24x+9[/math]

FOIL: a very thin sheet of metal, especially used to wrap food in to keep it fresh:
A foil is one of the three weapons used in the sport of fencing, all of which are metal. It is flexible, rectangular in cross section, and weighs under a pound. As with the épée, points are only scored by contact with the tip, which, in electrically scored tournaments, is capped with a spring-loaded button to signal a touch. A foil fencer's uniform features the lamé (a vest, electrically wired to record hits). The foil is the most commonly used weapon in competition

Reactions: pka
FYI: here's a thread about whether or not FOIL is good

I have never used FOIL myself. I don't have a strong opinion about its use. Hopefully this post might make things clear if anyone is confused about some of the posts above :).

FOIL has nothing to do with math, at least it shouldn't.
Students have enough formulas to know and this one is not a good one to know.

Reactions: pka
Oops! ? Posted this in the wrong thread! ?

I have never taught FOIL (& never will); it's far too restrictive! I have always taught: Multiply every term in the second bracket by each term in the first bracket in turn; then gather like terms. Doesn't matter how may terms are in either bracket then!
(Just my tuppenceworth. ?)

Thank you, so I can use the method you wrote or the (a+b)^2 = a^2 = 2ab-b^2 rule?
Please review your post (#6) for typos.

The correct representation of the rule - as shown in post #11 - is:

(a + b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2

Read it carefully. I missed your typos at the first read.

so I can use the method you wrote [or another method I've seen]
In math, you're free to choose any method that works for you, khris (unless an exercise specifically instructs otherwise).

In the beginning, use methods that you can understand/remember, and then allow your work to evolve over time as you gain new insights and perspectives.

?

[imath]\;[/imath]

View attachment 32133
= 16x +9

Please read my post (#14) above first.
(This method will work no matter how many terms are within the brackets or, indeed how many brackets there are!)

You understand that \(\displaystyle (g of f(x))=(4x+3)^2\) (not \(\displaystyle (4x+3)^3\) as you typed) Yes?

Then:-

\(\displaystyle (4x+3)^2=(4x+3)(4x+3)\)

Multiplying everything in the second bracket by the first term in the first bracket (ie: \(\displaystyle 4x\)) we get:-

\(\displaystyle 4x(4x+3)=16x^2+12x\)

Then multiplying everything in the second bracket by the second term in the first bracket (ie: 3) we get:-

\(\displaystyle 3(4x^2+3)=12x+9\)

The final result is found when those two results are added together, so:-

\(\displaystyle (4x+3)^2=16x^2+12x+12x+9\)

Now gathering all the like terms together (ie: all the \(\displaystyle x^2\) terms, all the \(\displaystyle x\) terms and all the constants) you end up with:-

\(\displaystyle 16x^2+24x+9\)

But you wouldn't normally split it into two separate lines (as I have done above to illustrate each stage). You would just write:-

\(\displaystyle (4x+3)^2=(4x+3)(4x+3)=16x^2+12x+12x+9=16x^2+24x+9\)

Does that make things any clearer for you? ?

You can extend this method (as outlined at Post #14) to deal with brackets containing more than two terms and also to deal with more more than two brackets (just deal with them two at a time, add together all the results and gather all the like terms), eg:-

\(\displaystyle (4x+3)(2x^2+4x+3)=8x^3+16x^2+12x\) plus \(\displaystyle 6x^2+12x+9=8x^3+22x^2+24x+9\)
                                    └───────┬───────┘     └─────┬─────┘
                        Multiplying by \(\displaystyle 4x\) and Multiplying by 3

Last edited: