I need help please - providing Xeroxable answer

Baltuilhe

Looks good..... However at this site we tend NOT to provide "answer" when the original poster did not show any work/thought regarding the assignment. We want the student to "discover" the answer. You could have nudged the OP towards the answer - without providing the full work and the answer.
Hum... I totally disagree with your opinion. Sometimes, to learn, we need a 'solved' problem. This could be the beginning to learn how to do the things right. I know you could say that hard work to try to solve could be better to learn.. but sometimes we need a help. So, if you think this solution isn't usefull... patience! :) I did what I think it's right! To Show a solution to people who doesn't know how to solve a question!
Best wishes!

P.S.: "Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers".... Am I beeing judged because of my answer? :) <== This is a question! :)

Hum... I totally disagree with your opinion. Sometimes, to learn, we need a 'solved' problem. This could be the beginning to learn how to do the things right. I know you could say that hard work to try to solve could be better to learn.. but sometimes we need a help. So, if you think this solution isn't usefull... patience! :) I did what I think it's right! To Show a solution to people who doesn't know how to solve a question!
Best wishes!

P.S.: "Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers".... Am I beeing judged because of my answer? :) <== This is a question! :)
You are being judged. You have posted twice and have seen fit to question advice, expressed very kindly from someone who has provided almost 20,000 posts and is a super-moderator.

As our name implies, we are a help site rather than an answer site.

You don't get to waltz in and say that you are not going to abide by the rules.

I am voting that you be banned.

Best wishes!
Disagree you may, however, read very carefully... "...at this site we tend NOT to provide "answer" when the original poster did not show any work/thought regarding the assignment. We want the student to "discover" the answer. You could have nudged the OP towards the answer - without providing the full work and the answer."

Other sites may hold a different attitude.

Do you KNOW the student is not, right this moment, sitting for an exam? Do you KNOW the student has not failed to attend class AT ALL? Do you KNOW the student has ANY appropriate background?

Sure, sometimes, a nicely worked and displayed answer is appropriate. This requires judgment, not just a rule to put it out there with no effort whatsoever from the questioner. There are many who can present perfect homework solutions. Some choose not to do so, often based on their years and years of classroom experience or thousands and thousands of students served. Note: When I first took Differential Equations, after completing my homework, I copied my homework over, every night, in pen. It was lovely. Producing my own perfect homework, and forcing myself to do it twice, rooted out errors and made it all sink in. This is called work. We encourage work. The point is to learn, not to memorize.

Best wishes!

I'd say this is a fact, not an opinion.
Sure, following a solution example is an important part of learning. And there are many (understatement of the year) sites that provide them. Google, youtube, etc. This site is not one of them. If it were, it would be very popular among students who like to play video games all day instead of doing homework. This site requires active participation from students seeking help.

No problem, Guys.
No need to vote to ban me.
I've asked to close my account.
Sorry for any problems I've done.
Best wishes.

If you felt that a student needed a worked out example then you could have given them a solution to a similar problem. The problem is, as pointed out time and again in this thread, I too do not think that you have the experience making the decision yet on who needs a worked out example-especially with no feedback from the student.
I actually prefer that you stick around and learn a bit about this site so that you can be an active helper. You can even help as you are learning exactly what you do. I too probably made mistakes when I started out but quickly learned what this site is all about and hope that the helpers here like that I am around.

I think no one is angry except the OP.

There are conventions about good behavior at this site. Violating them will meet with disapproval. Standard human behavior.

Three posts. Not one said "Got it. Won't happen again."

To paraphrase a song -

No one is getting mad - except mama Cass

Gee. Next you are going to tell me that you were pondering Green's function solutions to the quantum harmonic oscillator Hamiltonian operator.

(I occasionally pull that kind of thing in restaurants when the server asks me what I'm working on. I love the looks on their faces when I show them.)

-Dan

This is scary - thinking at the same frequency as a physicist
Being an engineer is bad enough but now you are thinking like a physicist! I am going to the corner and cry. But wait a minute, thinking like a physicist is an improvement over being an engineer. I'm still going to the corner.

All of the sudden....everybody is angry....:confused:
I seemed to be the least angry so maybe I should not be the one to reply to your post. But here goes.
The helpers here take this site very seriously and we get troubled when someone waltzes in and tries to disobey the rules and take over. One needs to earn respect as a helper before one gets to do things that might be against the rules. In the past I have given posters complete solutions after seeing them suffer with a problem. I am sure that other helpers did not like that but they respect the work I do here and tolerated my doing this or maybe they thought that I know better than them by giving a complete solution. If it is a standard problem I would, and should, work out a similar problem if I am going to give a complete solution. Other times giving a solution is not the worst idea. You have to have some tutoring/teaching experience to make these judgment calls. I myself have over 10,000 hours of tutoring experience and many years of low level full time college math teaching experience. I used to say that I saw it all, but now I say that I say it all twice. I get to make some calls with my experience. Thinking about my time being here I realized that I learned how to be a better helper from learning from others. You can't read post after post after post and not learn a thing or two. This OP just had no experience here and did not see what we do here and refused to learn. I myself had to learn quickly that we help students by getting them to see the answer themselves. And I have to say that the group of helpers here are experts in doing this. I dare anyone to find another math forum that does a better job helping students than is done here.

Gee. Next you are going to tell me that you were pondering Green's function solutions to the quantum harmonic oscillator Hamiltonian operator.

(I occasionally pull that kind of thing in restaurants when the server asks me what I'm working on. I love the looks on their faces when I show them.)

-Dan
That's old problem and too easy!

Recently I have been pondering about "string theory" and "knot theory" and how those two can be combined to create "theory of everything" in a nice little bundle (quanta that is!).

That's old problem and too easy!

Recently I have been pondering about "string theory" and "knot theory" and how those two can be combined to create "theory of everything" in a nice little bundle (quanta that is!).
Oh I am going to have to remember that one for the next string theorist I talk to!

-Dan