i need help solving this inequality

Nothing fancy here. Just solve it in the same manner that you would solve it if it were an " sign rather than and inequality sign. Since, at no time do you need to multiply or divide by a negative value, you just keep the same sense of the inequality sign. If you need help, show us what you have done so far.

2(2+5x)+6>56

4+10x+6>56

10x+10>56

10x+66

my choices are

a. x > 5.8
b. x > 5.4
c. x > 4.6
d. x > 4.4

and i chose c but not sure if i am correct

foothillstudent_12 said:
2(2+5x)+6>56

4+10x+6>56

10x+10>56 >>> You're still not done. You need to keep the inequality.
Start with the above, which looks correct, and continue from there. Keep the inequality, and get x on the left-hand side by itself. Post all your steps, OK?

so are you saying do it like this

2(2+5x)+6>56

4+10x+6>56

10x+10>56

10x>46

x > 4.6

so i finally figured it out and i was right but i didn't show my work right on the post board

Good job, DeShaun. Keep the questions coming if you need help. The real trick, though, is not just being able to solve this one problem, but also being able to solve other inequalities like this. You have to be able to apply this solution strategy to other inequalities that you have to solve.

This one was pretty easy, because you didn't have to multiply or divide by a negative number. Inequalities work just like equations when you solve them -- up to a point. It's the same basic strategy, though: get x on one side all by itself by performing the same operation to both sides.

If you need general help, there's also some very good advice here. Or, if you just need a refresher course at any point, there are also lots of problems there with all the steps so you can follow the logic.