I need help with one question on my homework

juicewrld999

Which completes the expression so that you can factor it into the product of two binomials? Show the factorization.
x2 +
cc3d6e93-0bb4-4fae-98e8-0edec13e6681
x − 15

These are the options:

A. −2; (x − 3)(x + 5)

B. 3; (x − 3)(x + 5)

C. 2; (x − 3)(x + 5)

D. −15; (x − 15)(x + 1)

Last edited:
Hi,
Before I give more help I first would like you to multiply out (x+a)(x+b) and combine like terms

If you are given a factorization in the form:

[MATH](x+a)(x+b)[/MATH]
Then when we multiply, we find:

[MATH](x+a)(x+b)=x^2+(a+b)x+ab[/MATH]
We see that in all 4 cases, we have \(ab=-15\), which is what we require, and so we cannot eliminate any of the choices that way.

The first number given in each of the choice must be the sum of \(a\) and \(b\). Only one choice meets that requirement...can you find it?

Hi,
Before I give more help I first would like you to multiply out (x+a)(x+b) and combine like terms

Looks like we were both thinking along the same lines. :)

If you are given a factorization in the form:

[MATH](x+a)(x+b)[/MATH]
Then when we multiply, we find:

[MATH](x+a)(x+b)=x^2+(a+b)x+ab[/MATH]
We see that in all 4 cases, we have \(ab=-15\), which is what we require, and so we cannot eliminate any of the choices that way.

The first number given in each of the choice must be the sum of \(a\) and \(b\). Only one choice meets that requirement...can you find it?
I think its D

Which completes the expression so that you can factor it into the product of two binomials? Show the factorization.
x2 +
cc3d6e93-0bb4-4fae-98e8-0edec13e6681
x − 15
These are the options:
A. −2; (x − 3)(x + 5)
B. 3; (x − 3)(x + 5)
C. 2; (x − 3)(x + 5)
D. −15; (x − 15)(x + 1)
I have a different request. Please take each of A to D and multiply out the two factors and post the results.