I need help with this algebraic division question

Anonymous5

The question is 8x squared - 27y squared ÷ (2x-3y) .Sorry ,I don't know how to type indices. The book says what the answer is but I don't know how to do this.

The question is 8x squared - 27y squared ÷ (2x-3y) .Sorry ,I don't know how to type indices. The book says what the answer is but I don't know how to do this.
Please make sure that you have posted the correct problem. You said:

8x squared - 27y squared ÷ (2x-3y). Could it be that your actual problem was:

(8x cubed - 27y cubed) ÷ (2x-3y) → \(\displaystyle \frac{8x^3 - 27y^3}{2x-3y}\) = ?.................edited

or

actual problem was: \(\displaystyle \frac{(8x)^3 - (27y)^3}{2x-3y}\) = ?

You say "The book says what the answer is" - could you please post the given answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to type "x squared" you can do this by typing x^2. Of course, as Mr Khan says you need to be careful with parenthesis.

-Dan

If the problem is with cubes and not squares as I too think, then I doubt that the problem has (8x)^3 - (27y)^3

I, too, suspect that the problem may be to simplify [math]\frac{8x^3 - 27y^3}{2x-3y},[/math] which you could type as (8x^3 - 27y^3)/(2x-3y). We guess that because this is a classic problem of its type, while what you wrote, [math]\frac{8x^2 - 27y^2}{2x-3y},[/math] would be harder.

If so, then you need to factor the numerator, which requires you to know the difference of cubes. You'll have to tell us what you have learned about factoring.

On the other hand, whether we are correcting the problem correctly or not, if it actually says to divide, you can use long division, if you have learned to do that with two variables.

Clearly, in order to provide the most useful help, we need to see an image of the entire problem, and what you have been learning. Also, of course, showing us the provided answer will help us be sure what the problem is, and guess what methods are expected.