I need some help....

Simret01

Hi!
So i was wondering if someone could help me understand the answer and method for this question, its one me and my friends have been puzzling over for a while!
P.s sorry if i put this in the wrong section, i just thought this was the simplest.
Thanks! Here's the question.....
2 people are eating a pizza. Jack eats 1/6 of the pizza and Jess eats 3/5 of the remaining pizza. How much of the original pizza is left?
I know it seems easy, but seriously its stumped my class for a while, it was on our end-of-year.
Thank you!
Simret01

Hi!
So i was wondering if someone could help me understand the answer and method for this question, its one me and my friends have been puzzling over for a while!
P.s sorry if i put this in the wrong section, i just thought this was the simplest.
Thanks! Here's the question.....
2 people are eating a pizza. Jack eats 1/6 of the pizza and Jess eats 3/5 of the remaining pizza. How much of the original pizza is left?
I know it seems easy, but seriously its stumped my class for a while, it was on our end-of-year.
Thank you!
Simret01
After Jack woofed down 1/6 of the total pizza,

What fraction of the total pizza was left?

What fraction of the total pizza was eaten by Jess?

Imagine the pizza was cut into 6 equal pieces (slices)
If Jack ate 1/6 of the pie, then how many slices are left?
Now jess eats 3/5 of what is left. How many slices did Jess eat? How many slices are left?
What much of the original pair is left?

Show us what you have tried first.
OK so first I changed both to the same denominator
1/6 to 5/30 and 3/5 to 18/30
So once Jack ate 5/30 there was 25/30 left and Jess ate 18/30 from the 25/30 that was left. So you get 7/30 right?
Is that correct?

So once Jack ate 5/30 there was 25/30 left and Jess ate 18/30 from the 25/30 that was left. So you get 7/30 right?
Is that correct?
No it is NOT.
Correct arithmetic - but no need to do it!

After Jack wolfed down 1/6 of the total pizza, what fraction of the total pizza was left?
1 - 1/6 = 5/6
Jess eats 3/5 of the remaining pizza
3/5 of 5/6 = 3/5 * 5/6 = 1/2

fraction of Pizza eaten → 1/6 + 1/2 = 4/6 = 2/3

How much of the original pizza is left?

fraction of Pizza left → 1 - 2/3 = 1/3

Oooooohhhhh I get it now
Thank you so much this was a lot of help!

I get where I made the mistake which was dumb of me to forget how I originally did it. See I originally got 1/3 in the exam but everyone else apparently got 7/30 so when I wrote out my working here, I forgot what I did ?
Thanks though now I can rub it into their faces that I was right....
Joking!
Thank you!
Simret01

Imagine the pizza was cut into 6 equal pieces (slices)
If Jack ate 1/6 of the pie, then how many slices are left? 5 slices are left
Now jess eats 3/5 of what is left. How many slices did Jess eat? Jess ate 3 slices. How many slices are left? 2 slices are left
What much of the original pair is left? 2/6 = 1/3