I need to solve "Traveling with the river current, a boat has a max speed of..."

Nicole.ss

Hello, I have two problems to solve and I didnt figure it out how to write good systems of equations for them. Here is the second problem.

9. Traveling with the current of a river, a boat moves at a maximum speed of 9.75 mph. Traveling against the current, the same boat goes at a maximum speed of 7.25 mph. What is the speed (in mph) of the current in the river?

Thank You,
Nicole

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2023-02-27 à 12.39.56.png
    Capture d’écran 2023-02-27 à 12.39.56.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
Let x = speed of the boat in still water. Let c= speed of the current. Continue from here.

Example: If in still water a boat can go 5 miles per hour and the current is going at a rate of 2 miles per hr.
With current: The boat goes 7 miles per. This is because if the boat was just sitting in the water, the boat will be moving at the rate of 2 miles per hour in the direction that the boats is trying to move.
Against current: The boat goes 3 miles per. This is because if the boat was just sitting in the water, the boat will be moving at the rate of 2 miles per hour in the opposite direction that the boat is trying to move.