I really need some help integrating a gamma function

jrkapoor

I am trying to prove that the gamma function is a proper probability distribution (integrates to one).

The gamma function is given as gamma(x) = integral{(a^(x-1))*(e^(-a))da} where the lower bound on the integral is 0 and the upper bound is positive infinity.

I start the problem using integration by parts. u = (a^(x-1)), du = (x-1)*a^(x-2) dv = e^(-a), v = -e^(-a)

I obtain: gamma(x) = (-e^(-a))*a^(x-1) - integral{(-e^(-a))*(x-1)*a^(x-2)da}

I use integration by parts again on the right hand integral. u = ((x-1)*a^(x-2)), du = (x-2)*(x-1)*a^(x-3) dv = e^(-a), v = -e^(-a)

I obtain:

gamma(x) = (-e^(-a))*a^(x-1) + (-e^(-a))*((x-1)*a^(x-2)) - integral{(-e^(-a))*(x-2)*(x-1)*a^(x-3)da}

I see this integral as a series but am having trouble writing out the series form and going about evaluating the series between 0 and positive infinity. Help on this would be great as I am also trying to prove that the poisson, and weibull distributions are proper. I see the use of L'hopital's rule with my result from the gamma distribution to prove the Poisson is proper and see the Weibull distribution is a variant case of the gamma distribution. From my perspective, proof of Poisson and Weibull as proper hinge directly on understanding the proof of gamma as proper.

If we have the probability distribution:

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty}kx^{a-1}e^{\frac{-x}{b}}dx\)

Make the sub\(\displaystyle y=\frac{x}{b}\)

\(\displaystyle =kb^{a}\int_{0}^{\infty}y^{a-1}e^{-y}dy\)

This defines Gamma: \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty}y^{a-1}e^{-y}dy\)

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty}kx^{a-1}e^{\frac{-x}{b}}dx=kb^{a}{\Gamma}(a)=1\)

Therefore, \(\displaystyle k=\frac{1}{b^{a}{\Gamma}(a)}\)

This leads us to the Gamma distribution:

\(\displaystyle g(x;a,b)=\frac{1}{b^{a}{\Gamma(a)}}x^{a-1}e^{\frac{-x}{b}}dx, \;\ x>0\)

\(\displaystyle 0, \;\ elsewhere\)

where a>0, b>0