I shall be very selective in future to post here

anneranch

And even the author of a book (or the poorly paid assistant who writes the answers) can have a bad day.

Same goes for a "Dr" .
For whatever the "Dr" stands for - this thread lost its credibility after a suggestion to "draw stack of (books) " and ended up with philosophical essay about "authority".

What is the result if

I have four apples and you have two and I give you one of mine?

this thread lost its credibility after a suggestion to "draw stack of (books) " and ended up with philosophical essay about "authority".

What is the result if

I have four apples and you have two and I give you one of mine?
This question was put under Arithmetic, with no evidence of where the child needed help. Drawing a picture (or playing with manipulatives) is a standard way to introduce the concepts of addition and subtraction, which seems to be the level at which the question belongs.

Then we were told that the issue was not the child's failure to understand the concept or to carry out the subtraction correctly, but an error in the textbook. Is it not reasonable to reassure parent and child that they are smarter than they thought they were?

By the way, whoever wrote the solution (who would have been paid less simply because he is not the author) probably wrote thousands of correct ones, so there is no infinity involved.

Does no one have a sense of perspective (or humor) any more?

Since "Dr " managed to comment on MY post I cannot see here I will agree that whomever deleted my post has NO sense .
Humor or otherwise.
Apparently his /hers sense of humor has been replaced by perceived authority on "how the rest of the world should comply with MINE views " .
( I am sure such authority is spelled out in detais in "read before you post ")
Also "Dr", I really like to know "doctor of what ", did not answer my riddle thus I shall be very selective in future to post here.
This is not mathematics forum, but poorly implemented "Sunday sermons".
IBTL

Anneranch

You did not beat the lock. You intervened in someone else's thread, and the OP does not deserve to have his or her thread locked due to you. You may be banned although the mods here are a tolerant lot. Because you intend to avoid this site in the future, banning you is probably unnecessary in any case.

"You intervened in someone else's thread"
AKA " intervening in thread " - Is that this forum definition of discussion?

Learn distorted etiquette every day...

Will somebody please aswer my riddle / question soon.

Rather than wait until Sunday, I give my sermon today:

"whom" is objective case "who" is the subjective case.
Anneranch's "whomever deleted my post" should be "whoever deleted my post"!

You see, I have a sense of humor!

Rather than wait until Sunday, I give my sermon today:

"whom" is objective case "who" is the subjective case.
Anneranch's "whomever deleted my post" should be "whoever deleted my post"!

You see, I have a sense of humor!

Education is always appreciated.

Since my question remains unanswered I'll take " visit other forums " "sugestion " seriously.
Perhaps I will find a forum where volunteers actually help with math problems.
Cheers

That is ultimately up to the site owner, but is there a particular reason you want your account deleted?
Primary reason for ANY publicly accessible "site" is to make money. For obvious reason it is seldom stated in "read before post". A person usually signs-up for personal reasons and it is nobody business to know the reasons.
I have made it a habbit to "read the mail" BEFORE is sign -up.
However, only AFTER few posts if became obvious that THIS site is not what I expected.

It is also obvious that this site is "run by" few so called administrators primarily interested in policing instead of solving mathematical problems.
That is not that uncommon on many sites, however , that is not an excuse to do same on this iste.

What is really interesting on this one is that replies from these administrators are so predictable, one must wonder if they are using "cut and paste templates " for their posts.

For example " tell us what you have done so far..." , which irrelevant post since it is NOT an answer to question posted.
By far my favorite is "kindergarten approach" practiced here - "did you draw youself a picture?? " and general belittling "suggestions " such as " can you solve this ? ..."
But enough (useless) ranting, it could overload poor unapreciatied volunteers.

When user ask to have his / here account deleted it should be done WITHOUT conditions and not passed back to the user asking him / her to "log out".
There are no guarantees that site owner won't sell the inactive user info or "accidentaly " pass it to some obscure memory location... (S... happens )

T

I am always amused by people who say that everyone does everything to make money. They never realize what it says about their own motivations.

Just to add my two cents, every site I work on is manned by volunteers and, if it's actually registered as a business, it's not for profit. The monies accrued go back into things like software updates and add-ons and the like.

Now, there are sites like tutor.com that pay its employees and try to net a profit but you know about that because they charge a fee up front to use the system. I'm not counting those.

-Dan

Primary reason for ANY publicly accessible "site" is to make money.

Like everyone else contributing here, I do so as a volunteer, without concern for making money, but only to help others gain a better understanding of mathematics, because we feel education in mathematics is an important endeavor. A population better educated in mathematics is going to be a more productive society, all other things being equal.

For obvious reason it is seldom stated in "read before post". A person usually signs-up for personal reasons and it is nobody business to know the reasons.

It is implied that people registering on a site dedicated to providing help with math are doing so to get help with mathematics. Sure, there are some who sign up to spam, or be disruptive, etc., but they are thankfully the minority.

I have made it a habbit to "read the mail" BEFORE is sign -up.
However, only AFTER few posts if became obvious that THIS site is not what I expected.

It is also obvious that this site is "run by" few so called administrators primarily interested in policing instead of solving mathematical problems.
That is not that uncommon on many sites, however , that is not an excuse to do same on this iste.

A well run site is of course going to include those who are charged with maintaining order. Topics should be posted in appropriate areas, duplicate topics need to be merged or otherwise condensed to ensure we are not squandering the time of our helpers by duplicating their efforts.

What is really interesting on this one is that replies from these administrators are so predictable, one must wonder if they are using "cut and paste templates " for their posts.

For example " tell us what you have done so far..." , which irrelevant post since it is NOT an answer to question posted.
By far my favorite is "kindergarten approach" practiced here - "did you draw youself a picture?? " and general belittling "suggestions " such as " can you solve this ? ..."
But enough (useless) ranting, it could overload poor unapreciatied volunteers.

We are here to help, we are not here to do your work for you so that you may submit and receive credit for the work of others.. This isn't helpful. Having a student show what they've done, so we can see where they may be going astray, and see where they are stuck is vital in order for us to provide judicious help allowing the student to do the heavy lifting and actually learn. This is indicative of a quality math help site. It would in fact be much easier for us to simply provide full solutions, but this does the student no good. We are not here to do your work, we are here to help you do your work, to help you actually learn.

When user ask to have his / here account deleted it should be done WITHOUT conditions and not passed back to the user asking him / her to "log out".
There are no guarantees that site owner won't sell the inactive user info or "accidentaly " pass it to some obscure memory location... (S... happens )

T

I've been involved with a large number of sites over the years, and none of those sites was ever in the business of selling user information. There have been occasions that I have found I am no longer interested in participating on a particular site. I close the tab and don't return. It's really just that simple. Administrators should not be expected to delete accounts on request. Some sites may do that, but that's their choice to do so. Nothing should require this. It's not something I have ever felt compelled to do as an administrator.

I know some sites that allow the user to delete their own account if required, but most I know don't show that facility. I know sites that have editing functions that don't time out, then there are some sites were that edit function does. I don't know the reasons for any of this, but it is all there on different sites. If I posted a math problem on this site, the world at large don't need to know this site ever exists, the simply Google search information they want and if my math pops up, it pops up anywhere globally, so I suppose if a member does not want to share information of some sensitive nature, then the member should consider not posting it. Now I also know sites that have trade sections, these sections require additional log in and are not for public viewing, so will not show up on a Google search. All forums as I know have a 'pm' facility, messaging members through that facility is also not viewable to the public at large. I would as a last thought think that if a Moderator/Administrator read something posted that was a 'concern', then they can edit/delete that information anyway, and if the account holder needed something changing, just ask the Mod's. To me anyway I don't think it matters whether the account can be deleted or not, to me, the editing function is more important and maybe should not 'Time out' as such.

… some sites [restrict] edit function … I don't know the reasons …
… the editing function … maybe should not 'Time out' …
Hello Probability. Members are expected to carefully proofread their posts before submitting them. Even so, they still have an additional 30 minutes to make changes. For content that goes unnoticed until it's too late to edit, and the author very much desires to see it fixed, they may contact a moderator. (I personally notified many of the regular contributors about a year ago and happily offered to change their content; all they need to do is send clear instructions by private conversation.)

There are a number of reasons for why moderators requested the time limit. The most important reasons are listed here.

?