I think this is a fraction? It's: 4 (-2.5) Trying to get the answer

khi200

Hi, I've been working on this problem: 4(-2.5) for some time for my homework, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the correct answer. According to a website, the answer to the math question is -10 but it doesn't explain how it got that answer in the first place. I end up getting a different answer than -10 so I'm under the impression that I'm not doing the problem correctly.
I need some help with it. Can someone please explain how I can get the correct answer?

I have a picture of what I've been doing on paper and a screenshot of the website explaining the problem to me.
Feel free to look at it, and give me some feedback and guidance. Thank you all.

Attachments

Otis

2.5 is the decimal form of the mixed number 2½.

2½ = 2 + ½

2.5 = 2.0 + 0.5

0.5 is the decimal form of ½, yes? That is, 0.5 is 5/10, which reduces to ½.

Using your (distributive) approach, we don't multiply 4×5. We multiply 4×0.5

In other words:

(-4)(2.5) = (-4)(2 + 0.5) = (-4)(2) + (-4)(0.5) = (-8) + (-2) = -10

You could also multiply 4×2.5 using longhand multiplication; remember to put a negative sign in front of the result.

You could also switch to rational form, by rewriting 2.5 as an improper fraction and then cancelling the common factor of 2 (before multiplying the two fractions).

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{-4}{1} \cdot \dfrac{5}{2} = \dfrac{-2}{1} \cdot \dfrac{5}{1} = \dfrac{-10}{1}\) :cool:

Harry_the_cat

Hi, I've been working on this problem: 4(-2.5) for some time for my homework, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the correct answer. According to a website, the answer to the math question is -10 but it doesn't explain how it got that answer in the first place. I end up getting a different answer than -10 so I'm under the impression that I'm not doing the problem correctly.
I need some help with it. Can someone please explain how I can get the correct answer?

I have a picture of what I've been doing on paper and a screenshot of the website explaining the problem to me.
4 x 2.5 = 4 lots of 2.5 = 2.5 + 2.5 +2.5 + 2.5 =10

Therefore 4 x -2.5 = -10

topsquark

Hi, I've been working on this problem: 4(-2.5) for some time for my homework...
A suggestion: When doing Mathematics use fractions not decimals. It's just a good practice to keep.

-Dan

Jomo

Elite Member

2.5 = 2.50 so think $2.50. If you buy 4 items that each cost $2.50, then how much do you pay for the items? you really should now this answer, Sure you should know how to compute this by hand and a few methods have been given already. Study them.