i was experimenting and for some reason this equation does no show up on any graphing websites so i was wondering if someone could explain why

le-dogs

I thought I could make a line with 2 endpoints without restricting the x or y coordinates and I came up with this
sqrt(x²+y²)+sqrt((x-a)²+(y-b)²)=sqrt(a²+b²) with the origin being one endpoint and (a,b) being the other, yet it doesn't seem to work could anyone explain why?

my logic behind this would be that the distance from an endpoint to a point on a line plus the distance from that point is always equal to the distance from endpoint to endpoint.

sorry for wasting any of your time I guess I just didn't look at the graphing calculator that would actually give me an answer

I think you're saying that you want an equation that will represent only a line segment from (0, 0) to (a, b), not the entire line. What you wrote should work, though there are simpler ways. Then you are saying that no graphing site you found would graph your equation. Is that what you are saying?

I tried it in Desmos, which can graph many equations, and you're right that it doesn't handle this one: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/ftsbki75yc

I'm not sure how it graphs equations in general, but it doesn't surprise me too much that this would be a little touchy. I included an equation that does graph as the segment, by specifying its domain.

That was what I said initially but I eventually found one that graphed the equation after it had been posted and thank you for answering my question