I would presume this is a probability math problem.

JoeysPizzaPalace

Hello,

I'm new here and I have a question that I'm guessing will be easy for you math geniuses to solve. ;)

I have a friend that has some traits that are quite rare, in my opinion, and I want to figure out how rare if you can please help me. I don't just want the answer, I want to know how you calculated it as well so I can learn from this please.

Here are the details...

My friend has taken many detailed IQ tests over the span of 25 years (he's 49 years old now). His IQ tests have ranged from 128 to 154 over the years. The 128 from when he was 25 years younger and 134 to 154 over the last 10 years. so I would say his IQ is firmly in the top 1% of the population according to many studies I found posted on the internet.

He's also left-handed which is only 10% of the population and on the Myers Briggs test he is an INTJ which is only 2% of the population.

So, based on the left handed, high IQ and the personality type what percentage of people in the world does he fall into or maybe even match him?

I ask because most people are common types of personalities like ISFJ (13.8%), ESFJ (12.3%) and ISTJ (11.6%) and are right handed and of average IQ (98, at least in the USA) so that would put most of them in the 50% percentile range, I think. So, that would be 1 out of 2 people, right?

But my friend seems to be so unique with his traits I listed above that he has to be in a very small, minute group of people worldwide, I would presume anyway. Personally, I would imagine only 1 out of 10,000 or 100,000 would have his traits. But I could be totally off since I'm NOT a math whiz like all of you. :)

So, how do we figure out this math problem? I really, truly, would like to know the answer and how to figure it out, if at all possible.

Thanks,

Joey

Hello,

I'm new here and I have a question that I'm guessing will be easy for you math geniuses to solve. ;)

I have a friend that has some traits that are quite rare, in my opinion, and I want to figure out how rare if you can please help me. I don't just want the answer, I want to know how you calculated it as well so I can learn from this please.

Here are the details...

My friend has taken many detailed IQ tests over the span of 25 years (he's 49 years old now). His IQ tests have ranged from 128 to 154 over the years. The 128 from when he was 25 years younger and 134 to 154 over the last 10 years. so I would say his IQ is firmly in the top 1% of the population according to many studies I found posted on the internet.

He's also left-handed which is only 10% of the population and on the Myers Briggs test he is an INTJ which is only 2% of the population.

So, based on the left handed, high IQ and the personality type what percentage of people in the world does he fall into or maybe even match him?

I ask because most people are common types of personalities like ISFJ (13.8%), ESFJ (12.3%) and ISTJ (11.6%) and are right handed and of average IQ (98, at least in the USA) so that would put most of them in the 50% percentile range, I think. So, that would be 1 out of 2 people, right?

But my friend seems to be so unique with his traits I listed above that he has to be in a very small, minute group of people worldwide, I would presume anyway. Personally, I would imagine only 1 out of 10,000 or 100,000 would have his traits. But I could be totally off since I'm NOT a math whiz like all of you. :)

So, how do we figure out this math problem? I really, truly, would like to know the answer and how to figure it out, if at all possible.

Thanks,

Joey
I think a medical psychologist (like Bob Newhart) will be better equipped to answer your question.

I would presume this is a probability math problem …
Then why post it on the Arithmetic board? (It seems like you skipped the forum request you had received to view the Read Before Posting notice.)

PS: I don't think you have enough data to credibly answer the question.

?

I did read it and did not see the probability section. So, I will try there - this forum will not let me delete the post or even edit it.

Besides the answer from chuckles above. I had a serious answer in a different thread that gave me what I needed. Here's the link to it.

Assuming that "high IQ", left handedness, and personality type are independent (which is certainly not obvious) the probability of all three is 0.01(0.10)(0.2)= 0.00002 or 0.002%.