IB-functions in real life application-golden ratio of rectangle

Leah5467

Hello,please help!
the hint says it can let AD as 1 and AB as x,however i don't really get why it can let AD as 1? What if the ratio is not a complete number,e.g.36/7?
Thank you!
maths question.png
and i don't really know what we have to calculate for "dimensions"? I think it is a term in IB course and might be different in other courses,but maybe someone has seen a similar word in other courses? Thank you!
maths question 2.png

Thank you to those who always helped me on maths questions!

Hello,please help!
the hint says it can let AD as 1 and AB as x,however i don't really get why it can let AD as 1? What if the ratio is not a complete number,e.g.36/7?
Thank you!
The ratio won't be a "complete number" by which I think you mean a whole number. After all \(\displaystyle 36:7 =\frac{36}{7}:1\). Because you are interested in a ratio you could let AD be any length you like. Letting it be 1 unit makes the calculation easier (as you will see). Can you proceed with this problem?

and i don't really know what we have to calculate for "dimensions"? I think it is a term in IB course and might be different in other courses,but maybe someone has seen a similar word in other courses? Thank you!

"Dimensions" in Q8 simply means length, width and height. In Q9, the side of the square.

Thank you to those who always helped me on maths questions!

The golden ratio is not a whole number. But the side of the rectangle can be. Your can make it 2, 53, etc. 1 makes the equation a bit simpler.