IB test questions

Leah5467

Hello, i don't know if my answers are correct in the test and i am very worried. These are the questions:
1.f(x)=2sinx,given maximum point=2 and minimum point=-2,
find the greatest value of "p" in 2sin(px) if it cannot cross y<-1 at any point

2.Solve x for log4(2x)=log16(13x-4)

Thank you! It would ease my worries if i at least know where i am at.

I can't help you with Question 1, because it doesn't make sense to me. "p" affects the period not the amplitude so the max of 2 sin(px) will still be 2 and min will be -2 for any value of p, so the graph will go below y=-1. Are you sure you have the question correct? Was it perhaps 2sin(x) + p ?

With Question 2, I would rewrite both sides using the "change of base" rule and go from there.

... find the greatest value of "p" in 2sin(px) if [its graph] cannot cross y<-1 ...
Hi. I agree with Harry_the_cat; the exercise statement seems flawed.

y < -1 describes a region in the xy-plane, not a line. So the graph of 2sin(px) won't "cross" it.

This question makes sense: "For what value(s) of p does the graph of y=2sin(px) not enter the region y<-1?"

I doubt that's the question they tried to ask, but its answer is zero.

?

... 2. Solve [for x]

log4(2x)=log16(13x-4)
Here are two requests from the forum's submission guidelines:

(1) Show what you've already tried or thought about

(2) Start new threads for new exercises

I agree with Harry_the_cat's suggestion: Use the Change-of-Base formula.

I would use it to convert the right-hand side from log16 to log4.

That way, you can use a property of logs to put the given equation into this form:

log4(expression1) = log4(expression2)

For that equation to be true, expression1 must equal expression2.

But, what approach did you try?

?

I can't help you with Question 1, because it doesn't make sense to me. "p" affects the period not the amplitude so the max of 2 sin(px) will still be 2 and min will be -2 for any value of p, so the graph will go below y=-1. Are you sure you have the question correct? Was it perhaps 2sin(x) + p ?

With Question 2, I would rewrite both sides using the "change of base" rule and go from there.
Thank you!
Welp it has the graph on the paper,but i don't have the paper with me. The roots are pie and 2pie,like any normal sine graph. The maximum and minimum points are -2 and 2.
F(x) intersects the line y=-1 at 7pie/6 and 11pie/6. But any point in the sine model cannot intersect with y=-1.

I do it using this method:
I figure if the lowest point of the graph does not touch y=-1,then the whole graph won't touch the line.
So i set up this:

2sin(px)<-1
2sin(p(270 degree))<-1
Sin(p(270 degree))<-1/2
px<220 degree
And i get p<7/9

The log one i used change of base:
Log4(2x)=log4(13+4x)/log416

Log44x2=log4(13+4x)

4x2=13+4x
And i solve this by quadratic formula because i cannot calculate roots from cross method. But golly,i am so scared because the calculations are quite a lot for a non-calculator test. Maybe i did something wrong?

... [the test question] has the graph on the paper, but i don't have the paper with me ...

... i get p<7/9
We'll have to wait until you get the actual question in hand. (Your descriptions and work have issues.)

By the way, it's easy to check some values of p smaller than 7/9 and see they don't work. For example, google the following and look at the graph.

plot 2*sin(1/9*x) , -1

... i used change of base:
Log4(2x) = log4(13+4x)/log416

Log4(4x2) = ...
That is good. Next, what is log4(16) ?

That is not good. We can't replace 2x with 4x^2 because those two expressions are not the same for all x.

Once you replace log4(16) with its value, then consider the following property of logarithms.

n log(a) = log(an)

?

Thank you! What i was trying to do was:2log42x,can it be log4(2x)^2? Gosh,i am scared...

2,and then can i times the 2 to ther other side?
Oh, I see what went wrong before. My check of your result in post #5 failed because I didn't notice your typos (you typed 13x+4 throughout, instead of 13x-4). I didn't realize you had multiplied both sides by 2 and applied the property; I would have, had you answered my question in post #8. (This is just one reason why the forum's guidelines ask students to not skip our questions.)

Sorry I contributed to your nervousness. You were on the right track! With corrections (and showing steps), you have:

Log4(2x) = log4(13 - 4x)/2

2Log4(2x) = log4(13 - 4x)

Log4(4x2) = log4(13 - 4x)

4x2 = 13x - 4

Solving that gives the solutions. Good job.

?

Oh, I see what went wrong before. My check of your result in post #5 failed because I didn't notice your typos (you typed 13x+4 throughout, instead of 13x-4). I didn't realize you had multiplied both sides by 2 and applied the property; I would have, had you answered my question in post #8. (This is just one reason why the forum's guidelines ask students to not skip our questions.)

Sorry I contributed to your nervousness. You were on the right track! With corrections (and showing steps), you have:
Log4(2x) = log4(13 - 4x)/2

2Log4(2x) = log4(13 - 4x)

Log4(4x2) = log4(13 - 4x)

4x2 = 13x - 4

Solving that gives the solutions. Good job.

?
Yep I got \(\displaystyle 4x^2 - 13x + 4 = 0\) also, and then used the quadratic formula to solve for x.