If 56 heads in 100 tosses, find prob that next toss is tails

vikrant24

Please help me solving the following probability question. I am not sure where to start from.

Q - If out of 100 tosses of a coin, 56 were heads, find the probability that a tail appears in the next toss of the coin.

Answer of this question 11/25. I do not know how to solve it. Please help.

vikrant24 said:
Q - If out of 100 tosses of a coin, 56 were heads, find the probability that a tail appears in the next toss of the coin.
If the coin is "fair", then the probability that the next toss lands "tails" doesn't depend upon your first fifty-six "samplings". So I can only assume, from the given "right" answer, that you're supposed to assume (without any instruction or indication) that the coin in fact is not "fair", and that somehow the given small sample is a dependable indication of probabilities. :shock:

If, of every hundred tosses, fifty-six will land "heads", how many will land "tails"? (Hint: Subtract.)

What then is the probability that any given toss will land "tails"? (Hint: Divide.)

Have fun! :D

Eliz.

Eliz is correct, in my opinion. Remember, that the coin, when tossed, does not remember how many times it has been tossed before, let alone, whether it landed as a head or a tail.