if a1,a2,a3...,an belong to a group what is the inverse?

tegra97

Hi, this question is for my modern algebra class. the question is if a1,a2,a3...,an belong to a group what is the inverse of a1,a2,a3...,an? Justify. So what i did was just (a1,a2,a3...an)( a1^-1,a2^-1,a3^-1...an^-1)=e. Is that all need to show? it seems too easy. Any help would be appreciated! thanks!

I have no idea what all that means. There must be more to the question than you have posted. As it stands is trivial: every group element has an inverse.

That's the question word for word. If a1,a2....an belong to a group, what is the inverse of a1a2....an? thanks.

Well this time you wrote it out with no commas in the last expression. In that case, it must be a product and \(\displaystyle \left( {a_1 a_2 a_3 \cdot \cdot \cdot a_n } \right)^{ - 1} = \left( {a_n } \right)^{ - 1} \left( {a_{n - 1} } \right)^{ - 1} \cdot \cdot \cdot \left( {a_2 } \right)^{ - 1} \left( {a_1 } \right)^{ - 1}.\)

you're right pka. I guess I didn't read the problem carefully the first time. I was wondering can you say (a1a2a3...an)^-1= (a1)^-1(a2)^-1(a3)^-1...(an-1)^-1,(an)^-1. I was wondering why you wrote it in backwords order? Also I'm having trouble with n-1 why did you put that there, does it need to be there. thanks!

In any group we have \(\displaystyle \left( {ab} \right)^{ - 1} = b^{ - 1} a^{ - 1} .\)
You do realize that in general groups are not commutative?
In commutative groups, Abelian groups, that order does not matter.
However, you cannot assume this is an Abelian group.