If one-half of one integer is subtracted from....

dkarolasz

Not sure who to go about my word problems I need to do.

If one-half of one integer is subtracted from three-fifths of the nest consecutive integer, the difference is 3. What are the two integers?

(3/5)(I+1) - (1/2)I = 3

Now solve the equation for I, which will be your smaller integer value. The next integer will be I+1

John.

If that doesn't work, try I = J + 1, just in case the problem statement is worded incorrectly - which it is. Well, I guess I assumed it was the next GREATER integer.

There is no way 10 can be described as the "[next] consecutive integer" after 6. That cannot be the answer.

Try again. How did you get that? Did you use John's first method until you found something? That first clue, now no longer available for view, missed the information suggested in my first sentence. That's why it changed.

That makes no sense with reference to the problem statement. Reread the problem statement and take another shot at it.

Re: number problems

dkarolasz said:

If one-half of one integer is subtracted from three-fifths of the nest consecutive integer, the difference is 3. What are the two integers?

No....10 and 6 are NOT the answers.

Let x = the first integer
Then x + 1 = the next consecutive integer

(3/5)*(x + 1) - (1/2)*x = 3

Multiply both sides of the equation by 10, since each denominator divides into 10:

10*(3/5)*(x + 1) - 10*(1/2)*x = 10*3

6(x + 1) - 5x = 30

Now....solve that for x, which will be the first of your integers. And x + 1 will be the second.

If that doesn't work, try I = J + 1, just in case the problem statement is worded incorrectly - which it is. Well, I guess I assumed it was the next GREATER integer.

dkarolasz - You're just guessing! Stop. Back up.

I'm not sure why I'm having a hard time, thank you so much i really think I got it this time.

Re: number problems

If one-half of one integer is subtracted from three-fifths of the next consecutive integer, the difference is 3. What are the two integers?

If x is the first integer, then 3/5(x + 1) - x/2 = 3 which leads to your ultimste correct answer of 24 and 25.