If x=3t^-2 and y= e^-10t^2 compute dy/dx

Note 1 : You got the sign wrong when computing the derivative for [imath]y(t)[/imath], but the sign l
Note 2 : You can modify the fraction in the result so that [imath]t^{-3}[/imath] is no longer in the denominator. Th
Try dy/dt again, remember to use chain rules.
Good catch, and sorry I've missed that error.

can you just show me the input so as not to be confused
What is meant is that [imath]\frac{d}{dt} e^{-10t^2}[/imath] is not equal to [imath]-10e^{-10t^2}[/imath]. If you don't see this right away I suggest you write out the chain rule explicitly for that expression.

Is -10t^2 not suppose to cancel the other -10t^2 in the bracket at the right?
In general:
[math]\frac{d(\mathrm{e}^{u})}{dt}=\mathrm{e}^{u}*\frac{du}{dt}[/math]Apply it a simpler problems:
[math] \frac{d}{dt}(\mathrm{e}^{2t}) = \mathrm{e}^{2t}* \frac{d(2t)}{dt}= \mathrm{e}^{2t}*2[/math]Apply it to your problem

Last edited:
I think you meant:
d/dt(e^(-10t^2)) =e^-10t^2 * du/dt
[math]\frac{d}{dt}(\mathrm{e}^{-10t^2}) = \mathrm{e}^{-10t^2}* \frac{d}{dt}(-10t^2)[/math]The last thing you'll have to do is [imath]\frac{d}{dt}(-10t^2)[/imath], what is this equal to?

Last edited:
d/dt(-10t^2) = 10t^1/2 ? where did we put the x=3t^-2 in the question?

and how much is private tutorial at all as it is certain i will fail the course come January exam. My tutor teaches this very fast and like English

Use the same thought process you used to find [imath]\frac{d}{dt}(3t^{-2})[/imath], to find [imath]\frac{d}{dt}(-10t^2)[/imath]

Given [imath]x=3t^{-2}~\&~y=e^{-10t^2}[/imath] compute [imath]\dfrac{dy}{dx}[/imath]
[imath]\dfrac{dx}{dt}=-6t^{-3}~\&~\dfrac{dy}{dt}=(-20t)e^{-10t^2}[/imath]
[imath]{\large \dfrac{dy}{dx}=\dfrac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}}=\dfrac{(-20t)e^{-10t^2}}{-6t^{-3}}=\dfrac{10}{3}t^4e^{-10t^2}[/imath]
[imath][/imath][imath][/imath][imath][/imath][imath][/imath][imath][/imath][imath][/imath]

Given [imath]x=3t^{-2}~\&~y=e^{-10t^2}[/imath] compute [imath]\dfrac{dy}{dx}[/imath]
[imath]\dfrac{dx}{dt}=-6t^{-3}~\&~\dfrac{dy}{dt}=(-20t)e^{-10t^2}[/imath]
[imath]{\large \dfrac{dy}{dx}=\dfrac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}}=\dfrac{(-20t)e^{-10t^2}}{-6t^{-3}}=\dfrac{10}{3}t^4e^{-10t^2}[/imath]
[imath][/imath][imath][/imath][imath][/imath][imath][/imath][imath][/imath][imath][/imath]
excellent sir. But i need to get this. It means in the second line with is the first step. we multiplied 3 by -2 and the power has to reduce by 1- which became -3. Also for the dy/dt, we multiply -10 by +2 by why didn't its power increase nor reduced?

Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 5.20.56 AM.png
I think you're confused between the derivative of polynomials and exponentials. Let's look at simpler problems [imath]t^2[/imath] vs. [imath]e^{2t}[/imath].
[imath]t^2[/imath] is a polynomial where your variable t is at the base, whereas [imath]e^{2t}[/imath] is an exponential function where your t variable is in the exponent. Does this make sense?