I'm clueless. What am I suppose to do with this equation?

hejsan

Hello you,
I have this equation of which I have no idea how I am suppose to manage. It looks like this:

[math]18x ^ 3 + 12x ^ 2 = 0[/math]

I feel as if I have looked everywhere but I fail to find any information as to how I am suppose to approach it. I believe that should at one point use the Zero Product property, but I have no clue how to get to that point.

Any pointers would be appreciated, thank you.

Hello you,
I have this equation of which I have no idea how I am suppose to manage. It looks like this:

[math]18x ^ 3 + 12x ^ 2 = 0[/math]

I feel as if I have looked everywhere but I fail to find any information as to how I am suppose to approach it. I believe that should at one point use the Zero Product property, but I have no clue how to get to that point.

Any pointers would be appreciated, thank you.
The Zero Product Property requires factoring the expression. What is the GCF of its terms?

I don't think that I know or understand what binomial factorization mean, and when you say GCF do you mean "greatest common factor"? (I googled for it).

My understanding of GCF is that I am suppose to find the greatest common factor, which in this case would be 6?

I should probably clarify that I'm not sure how the Zero Product Property is used, I just know that it is a thing which I think I am suppose to use.

Hello you,
[math]18x ^ 3 + 12x ^ 2 = 0[/math].
Do you not see that this is simple first year algebra?
[imath]18x ^ 3 + 12x ^ 2 = 0\text{ divide by 6}\\ 3x^3+2x^2=0\text{ factor out }x^2\\x^2(3x+2)=0\\x=?[/imath]

I don't think that I know or understand what binomial factorization mean, and when you say GCF do you mean "greatest common factor"? (I googled for it).

My understanding of GCF is that I am suppose to find the greatest common factor, which in this case would be 6?

I should probably clarify that I'm not sure how the Zero Product Property is used, I just know that it is a thing which I think I am suppose to use.
Please tell us what you HAVE learned, so we can tell how to help. Have you ever solved a polynomial equation?

There are several names used for GCF, such as GCD and HCF; without knowing anything about you, I can't know what words to use or what concepts to suggest. That's why we ask you to show actual work or tell us the context of your question (including what you are learning).

The GCF of polynomial terms includes the variables, not just the number; in this case it is [imath]6x^2[/imath].

pka is correct when he says this is simple 1st year algebra. Are you in an algebra course?

18x3+12x2= 3*3*2*x*x*x + 2*2*3*x*x. Factor out what is in common and multiply that by what is not in common.

I have not solved a polynomial equation before, no. I am sorry, but I am uncertain how to communicate what specific level I am at. But I will attempt to provide and be as specific and clear with my questions as I can manage. And I am doing a course wherein algebra is part of it. But it's not specifically an algebra course.

I wish dissect the math pka just performed and do this step by step.

1st: "[imath]18x^3+12x^2=0 \,divide\,by\,6 [/imath]"

We find the Greatest Common Factor (being 6) of 18 and 12 and do the following:
[imath]\frac{18}{6} ^3 + \frac{12}{6} ^2 = \frac{0}{6}[/imath]

Which turns "[imath]18x^3+12x^2=0[/imath]" into "[imath]3x^3+2x^2=0[/imath]"?

Is this correct? If this is correct, we proceed to the next step.

2nd: "[imath]3x^3+2x^2=0 \,factor\, out\, x^2[/imath]"

I do not understand what we are doing here. How is it that we can manage to factor out [imath] x^2 [/imath] from [imath] 3x^3+2x^2=0[/imath]?

What occurs here with regard to the 2nd and 3rd line appears alien to me.

2nd: "[imath]3x^3+2x^2=0 \,factor\, out\, x^2[/imath]"
3rd: "[imath] x^2(3x+2)=0 [/imath]"

What is happening here?

Last edited: