I'm having trouble with volumes and solid revolutions

maverik877

Hello Everyone, hope you're having a great weekend.

I am having a really tough time with these volumes and solid revolutions. I cannot visualize what's happening. I tried the following problem on my own several times and I'm not sure if it's right. If someone could give me a hint or tell me if its correct, I would greatly appreciate it.

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves around the specified axis.

(a) y = x^(2) +1, y = 9-x^(2); about y = -1.

So I tried the washer method, and this is what I ended up with.

pi * integrating from -2 to 2, ((x^(2)+1)-(-1))^(2) - (9-x^(2)-(-1))^(2). simplifying this I got 24x^(2) - 96, integrating, I ended up with 8x^(3)-96x, and going from -2 to 2, I got
-128-128 = -256*pi as a final answer. I think this is probably wrong. I'm just so confused at this point, I just need some advice from people who have done this before.

Also, there is another problem of, y = e^(-x^(2)), y = 0, x = 0, and x = 1, which if I use shells for hopefully it will work.

Again, ANY help for this would be greatly appreciated. :p

Yep, that's correct. Except for the negative sign. You probably just have a sign wrong somewhere.

Yes, use shells for the other.

Hey, thank you so much! I'm just trying to get handle on how to do these things. It's good to know that the first one is correct minus the negative sign. I'll try the other one and report back.