Imaginary number question

dhruv

if z = 3+i, find the values of n for which Im(z^n)=0.

I got to:
18.435n = k*pi

The answer is: n = [5,15,25,35....] but I don't know how to get to this.

I got to: 18.435n = k*pi
The answer is: n = [5,15,25,35....] but I don't know how to get to this.
That answer is not correct. Who or what gave it to you?
The complex number \(\displaystyle z=3+i\) has argument \(\displaystyle \theta=\arctan\left(\frac{1}{3}\right)\).
Therefore, in order for \(\displaystyle \Im{z}^n=0\) it must be the case that that \(\displaystyle n=\frac{k\pi}{\theta}\text{ for }k\in\mathbb{Z}\)

I got to sin(k*pi/n)=(1/10)0.5
but I don't know how you would find or know that sin(pi/5) is (1/10)0.5

That answer is not correct. Who or what gave it to you?
The complex number \(\displaystyle z=3+i\) has argument \(\displaystyle \theta=\arctan\left(\frac{1}{3}\right)\).
Therefore, in order for \(\displaystyle \Im{z}^n=0\) it must be the case that that \(\displaystyle n=\frac{k\pi}{\theta}\text{ for }k\in\mathbb{Z}\)
I completely agree with you. The answer key that I provided is in my Oxford mathematics book....I don't know how can it be so off.

OK i went for expansion of Sinx=x-x3/3!
I went for k=1 and got to roots of it, and n seems to be close to 10 ... still I think it needs more of terms in the expansion to get to zero though

This one is change a bit in last digits to get close to zero (the solution I got 9.76315 and I changed it to 9.7640629)

not sure though because not all of the roots give zero, so not sure what to think of it