Implicit differentiation

A180S

How do you solve this?

“If (x+y)sin(xy)=1, use implicit differentiation to determine dy/dx, expressing your answer in the form dy/dx = f(x,y), where f(x,y) is an expression that involves terms in both x and y.”

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
You differentiate both sides, keeping the chain rule in mind, and then solve for dy/dx.

If you're having trouble doing that, please show your work so we can see what help you need.

A180S

I got ycos(xy). Is this correct?
u=sin(xy)
dy/dx=d/du[sin(xy)]•d/dx[x+y]
dy/dx=y cos(xy)•1
dy/dx=y cos(xy)

Subhotosh Khan

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do you solve this?

“If (x+y)sin(xy)=1, use implicit differentiation to determine dy/dx, expressing your answer in the form dy/dx = f(x,y), where f(x,y) is an expression that involves terms in both x and y.”
Let's do this step-by-step

d/dx (x*y) = x * dy/dx + y ..............(1)............ product rule

d/dx[sin(xy)] = [cos(xy)] * d/dx (x*y) = [x * dy/dx + y] * cos(x*y) ..........................(2) ..........................chain-rule

d/dx (x + y) = 1 + dy/dx.....................................(3)

d/dx [(x+y) * sin(x*y)] = [d/dx (x+y)] * sin(xy) + (x + y) * d/dx [sin(xy)] ..............................................(4) ............... product rule

Now put (1), (2) and (3) into (4)

A180S

Let's do this step-by-step

d/dx (x*y) = x * dy/dx + y ..............(1)............ product rule

d/dx[sin(xy)] = [cos(xy)] * d/dx (x*y) = [x * dy/dx + y] * cos(x*y) ..........................(2) ..........................chain-rule

d/dx (x + y) = 1 + dy/dx.....................................(3)

d/dx [(x+y) * sin(x*y)] = [d/dx (x+y)] * sin(xy) + (x + y) * d/dx [sin(xy)] ..............................................(4) ............... product rule

Now put (1), (2) and (3) into (4)
dx/dy appears twice how do I solve for dy/dx = f(x,y)? Confused

HallsofIvy

Elite Member
What are you referring to? There is NO "dx/dy" in any of that.

To determine dy/dx from \(\displaystyle xy sin(x+ y)= 1\) start with
\(\displaystyle d/dx(xy sin(x+ y))= (xy)_x sin(x+ y)+ xy (sin(x+y))_x= 0\).

\(\displaystyle (xy)_y= y+ x\frac{dy}{dx}\) so the first term is \(\displaystyle (y+ x\frac{dy}{dx})sin(x+ y)\)

\(\displaystyle (sin(x+ y))_x= cos(x+ y)(1+\frac{dy}{dx}\) so the second term is \(\displaystyle xycos(x+y)(1+ \frac{dy}{dx})\).

Putting those together, \(\displaystyle (y+ x\frac{dy}{dx})sin(x+ y)+ xycos(x+ y)(1+ \frac{dy}{dx})= 0\).

Solve that for \(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}\).

A180S

What is dy/dx when solved?

Subhotosh Khan

Super Moderator
Staff member
You tell us.

After we review your work/answer, if needed, we will guide you to the correct answer.

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
One thing that sometimes helps is to replace dy/dx with some variable, maybe A to make it stand out:

\(\displaystyle (y+ xA)\sin(x+ y)+ xy\cos(x+ y)(1+ A)= 0\)​

Then just solve for A. You'll be distributing, collecting terms with A, and so on.

HallsofIvy

Elite Member
If you can't do algebra then you should not be attempting Calculus!
\(\displaystyle (y+ x\frac{dy}{dx})sin(x+ y)+ xycos(x+ y)(1+ \frac{dy}{dx})= 0\).
\(\displaystyle y sin(x+ y)+ x sin(x+ y)\frac{dy}{dx}+ xy cos(x+y)+ xy cos(x+ y)\frac{dy}{dx}= 0\)
\(\displaystyle (x sin(x+ y)+ xy cos(x+ y))\frac{dy}{dx}+ y sin(x+ y)+ xy cos(x+ y)= 0\)
\(\displaystyle (x sin(x+ y)+ xy cos(x+ y))\frac{dy}{dx}= -y sin(x+ y)- xy cos(x+ y)\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{-y sin(x+ y)- xy cos(x+ y)}{x sin(x+ y)+ xy cos(x+ y)}\).

A180S

True I am working on my algebra, these problems really highlights any gaps in my knowledge (lots). I understand how the chain rule and product rule has been applied. I don’t understand how dy/dx (or A) was transposed/manipulated, what algebraic rules were used to do this? I researched over the weekend but can’t find any other examples showing a derivative being isolated this way.

1) How does (y+xdy/dx)sin(x+y) become ysin(x+y)+xsin(x+y)dy/dx?

2) How does xycos(x+y)(1+dy/dx) become
xycos(x+y)+xycos(x+y)dy/dx?

Subhotosh Khan

Super Moderator
Staff member
True I am working on my algebra, these problems really highlights any gaps in my knowledge (lots). I understand how the chain rule and product rule has been applied. I don’t understand how dy/dx (or A) was transposed/manipulated, what algebraic rules were used to do this? I researched over the weekend but can’t find any other examples showing a derivative being isolated this way.

1) How does (y+xdy/dx)sin(x+y) become ysin(x+y)+xsin(x+y)dy/dx?

2) How does xycos(x+y)(1+dy/dx) become
xycos(x+y)+xycos(x+y)dy/dx?
1) How does (y + x*dy/dx) * sin(x+y) become y*sin(x+y) + x*sin(x+y)*dy/dx

In these cases,

treat dy/dx as an "unknown number" (or as a variable).

If I say

(A + B*C) * D = A * D + B * C * D ............................... would you agree with that?

We call it process of distribution - you probably learned it algebra as the "FOIL" method.

Same process (FOIL) for your Q2.

These are very basic rules of algebra.

Singleton

maybe you write dy/dx as y'
in the above you just distribute into the parenthesis

JeffM

Elite Member
maybe you write dy/dx as y'
in the above you just distribute into the parenthesis
Yes. A derivative is just a function.

\(\displaystyle z = \dfrac{dy}{dx} \text { and } w = sin(x + y) \implies\\

\left (y + x * \dfrac{dy}{dx} \right ) * sin(x+y) = (y + xz)w = wy + wxzy =\\

ysin(x+y) + xsin(x+y) * \dfrac{dy}{dx}.\)

However, to remind us that the function is a derivative we use y' instead of z. Sometimes Leibniz notation is helpful; sometimes the pseudo_Newton notation is helpful.