In 81 games, Rocky won 51 by KO. Assuming Rocky wins all future matches by K.O, how many more matches must he complete so his K.O wins and matches

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, another ratio problem. I have a little bit of an issue solving this. I saw it in a worksheet without answers. this is exactly the wording.

In 81 games, Rocky won 51 by KO. Assuming Rocky wins all future matches by K.O, how many more matches must he complete so his K.O wins and matches become 2: 3?

the 2:3 brings up proportion and ratios to my mind, but to be honest I need a hint to get me started

well the initial ratio would be 51/81.
x is the number of matches he should win to get to 2:3, right?. hence the formula BBB posted for me.

well the initial ratio would be 51/81.
x is the number of matches he should win to get to 2:3, right?. hence the formula BBB posted for me.
Correct, but do you understand why we have to add x to both the numerator and denomiator?

Correct, but do you understand why we have to add x to both the numerator and denomiator?
because x represents what we are trying to find out and we do not know. the unknown factor. the variable. the amount of fights he'll have to win to reach that ratio

1640108328507.png
I took a dare and cross-multiplied. if this is good then I am home free form here

Rocky wins all future matches by K.O
This is a very important statement. This leads to addition of 'x' and 'x' in the numerator and the denominators.

Suppose the problem is changed to:

In 81 games, Rocky won 51 by KO. Assuming Rocky wins 3/4 of the future matches by K.O, how many more matches must he complete so his K.O wins and matches become 2: 3?

What would be the equation now?

Right. That is it. I am using a text editor. It is easy to type in math.
Yes, my wife saw that cross multiplication was a possibility and equating both sides. She is also studying a bit. and we see that 3 is a common multiple to both 51 and 81.

This is a very important statement. This leads to addition of 'x' and 'x' in the numerator and the denominators.

Suppose the problem is changed to:

In 81 games, Rocky won 51 by KO. Assuming Rocky wins 3/4 of the future matches by K.O, how many more matches must he complete so his K.O wins and matches become 2: 3?

What would be the equation now?
pls, I can tackle that when I am finished with the one posted. Pls, don't get me off track now. it is not an easy problem for me.

3(51+x) = 2( x+81)
153 + 3x = 2x + 162
153 + 3x -2x = 2x - 2x + 162
153 + x = 162
x=9

how many more matches must he complete so his K.O wins and matches become 2: 3?
he needs to fight 9 more times.

Last edited:
Right. That is it. I am using a text editor. It is easy to type in math.
Yes, my wife saw that cross multiplication was a possibility and equating both sides. She is also studying a bit. and we see that 3 is a common multiple to both 51 and 81.
Did you catch your typo in response#9?