In an effort to save money on groceries, you have decided to plant your own tomatoes this year. You buy two different tomato seed varieties from the n

eddy2017

Elite Member
this is an interesting question that was posted. it is a shame to let it go to waste because, at least for me, the graphing part is very difficult. I'd like some help from tutors to try and solve it.

''In an effort to save money on groceries, you have decided to plant your own tomatoes this year. You buy two different tomato seed varieties from the nursery and plant them in your garden, labeling them A and B. Since you hope to plant tomatoes every year, you want to keep track of which variety (A or B) grows tall enough to produce fruit more quickly.

a. On average, Variety A grows at a rate of 3 inches per week, and Variety B grows at a rate of 4.5 inches per week. Write two equations to model the daily rates of growth for your tomato plants.
b. Graph these two rate equations on a separate piece of paper. Describe in detail what your graph looks like. Which variable did you place along the x-axis? Along the y-axis? Why did you choose this arrangement of variables?
c. To produce fruit, Variety A needs to be 25 inches tall, and Variety B needs to be 35 inches tall. According to your graph, which variety reaches its fruit-producing height first? Explain how you chose your answer, and include an estimation of how long it takes for both varieties to produce fruit.
d. After graphing your equations, you remember that Variety B took an extra week to poke up through the soil before it grew at its normal weekly rate! Does this information change your answer about which plant produces fruit first? Why or why not? Which plant will you choose to plant next year? ''

trying to answer a)
variety A grows at a rate of 3 in every week, that is, in 7 days. here's there is a ratio of 3:7
variety B grows at a rate of 4.5 in 7 days.
I have to write to equations that model that growth rate for each. here's a ratio of 4.5:7
I'll give it a try:
So,
A=3/7 * x
B= 4.5/7 * x removing the decimal = 45/70 * x, simplifying, 9/14 *x
x being the growth in inches of each variety at the end of each week. the thing is how to find the value of each x. I'm stumped here,lol.
I do not know how to proceed though.

You're done with question a). x is actually the number of days elapsed since you started growing. You can move on to question b)

You're done with question a). x is actually the number of days elapsed since you started growing. You can move on to question b)
Okay, thanks. I will give it a try. This is the hardest for me. Graphin'!.
so, this is the equation I have to graph: A=3/7 * x, correct?.

two points. but I do not have two points like ordered pairs I have only two equations. what should I do, then?. any tutorial link?

x values 0, 2
when x is 0, y=0
when when x is 2 y=9/7
so i have the two points now
(0,0)
(2, 9/7)
one question before I graph it.
Do you advice to put the fraction into decimal notation before graphing, or just leave it like that?

x values 0, 2
when x is 0, y=0
when when x is 2 y=9/7
so i have the two points now
(0,0)
(2, 9/7)
one question before I graph it.
Do you advice to put the fraction into decimal notation before graphing, or just leave it like that?
To avoid that conundrum, I would choose x=0 and x=7. That will give me points (0,0) and (7,3)

Dr Khan, I have a question now looking at the values you gave the x to get the second point.
you said: 'To avoid that conundrum, I would choose x=0 and x=7. That will give me points (0,0) and (7,3)
So according to that then
y= 3/7* 0
y=0

y= 9/14 * 7
y=63/14 (or 4.5)

so that would give these ordered pairs
(0,0) ; (7, 4.5)

Is my assumption correct?.

Last edited:
Dr Khan, I have a question now looking at the values you gave the x to get the second point.
you said: 'To avoid that conundrum, I would choose x=0 and x=7. That will give me points (0,0) and (7,3)
So according to that then
y= 3/7* 0
y=0

y= 9/14 * 7
y=63/14 (or 4.5)

so that would give these ordered pairs
(0,0) ; (7, 4.5)

Is my assumption correct?.
The reason Dr.Khan asked you to use x=7 for the first one is that it cancels out the denominator. Similarly, use x=0 and x=14 instead for your second graph. But your pairs are correct.
To graph your equations by computers you'll only need to input the A and B equation, however, the reason we're finding the points is that I thought you were graphing them by hands.

The reason Dr.Khan asked you to use x=7 for the first one is that it cancels out the denominator. Similarly, use x=0 and x=14 instead for your second graph. But your pairs are correct.
To graph your equations by computers you'll only need to input the A and B equation, however, the reason we're finding the points is that I thought you were graphing them by hands.
Oh, yes, I see. Okay, thanks a lot for the help. there is no point in graphing them by hand having a software, just saying.

To produce fruit, Variety A needs to be 25 inches tall, and Variety B needs to be 35 inches tall. According to your graph, which variety reaches its fruit-producing height first? Explain how you chose your answer, and include an estimation of how long it takes for both varieties to produce fruit.
so,
A= 25
B=35
any hint here?

now, last question
after graphing your equations, you remember that Variety B took an extra week to poke up through the soil before it grew at its normal weekly rate! Does this information change your answer about which plant produces fruit first? Why or why not? Which plant will you choose to plant next year?
Have you attempted c) yet? But you to answer your question, yes it would. We have to account for the additional 7 days Variety B took to poke through the soil. Therefore, we have to adjust our B equation.

we cross-posted. Variety B reaches its fruit producing height first. but I do not know what process to use to explain why

we cross-posted.
No problem haha. Let's look at c) first before d). The question asks: How long does it take to produce fruit? You know A=25 and B=35, and you also know the rate at which they grow at. Can you find how many days it took for them to grow this tall?

I know A grows at 3 in per week and has to reach 25 inches to bear fruit

for A to produce fruit will have to be 25 inches tall
So A,
Inches week
3------------1
25-----------x

= 8.33 ( will take 8.33 weeks to produce fruit)

B grows at 4.5 in per week and needs to be 35 in tall to bear fruit
Inches week
4.5------------1
25-------------x

=5.55 ( will take 5.55 weeks to produce fruit)

is this correct, I do not know how to make it a definitive calculation, though, with these repeating decimals.

I know A grows at 3 in per week and has to reach 25 inches to bear fruit

for A to produce fruit will have to be 25 inches tall
So A,
Inches week
3------------1
25-----------x

= 8.33 ( will take 8.33 weeks to produce fruit)

B grows at 4.5 in per week and needs to be 35 in tall to bear fruit
Inches week
4.5------------1
25-------------x

=5.55 ( will take 5.55 weeks to produce fruit)

is this correct, I do not know how to make it a definitive calculation, though, with these repeating decimals.
Simply plug 35 and 25, respectively in our A and B equations:
[math]\text{35 inches} = \frac{3}{7}*x \\ \text{25 inches} = \frac{9}{14}*x[/math]Can you solve for x?