In an effort to save money on groceries, you have decided to plant your own tomatoes this year. You buy two different tomato seed varieties from the n

35 = 3/7 * x
x= 245/3
=81.66
it takes variety B 81.666 days to produce fruit

25 = 9/14 * x
x =350/9
x=38.88
it takes variety A 81.88 days to produce fruit.

35 = 3/7 * x
x= 245/3
=81.66
it takes variety B 81.666 days to produce fruit

25 = 9/14 * x
x =350/9
x=38.88
it takes variety A 81.88 days to produce fruit.
Correct calculation, but you swapped Variety A and B equations :). As we see, Variety B is a better choice as it takes fewer days to grow. Now with a twist, part d) said Variety B required additional 7 days to grow at a normal rate, how would we account for that given the answer in part c)?

Last edited:
Correct calculation, but you swapped Variety A and B equations :). As we see, Variety B is a better choice as it takes fewer days to grow. Now with a twist, part d) said Variety B required additional 7 days to grow at a normal rate, how would we account for that given the answer in part c)?
I think that can be set up like this: (subtracting the 7 additional days for it to start its normal growth. its normal growth is represented or modeled by 9/14 x,
so,
B= -7 +9/14 x

the problem is to solve this ,lol.

I think that can be set up like this: (subtracting the 7 additional days for it to start its normal growth. its normal growth is represented or modeled by 9/14 x,
so,
B= -7 +9/14 x

the problem is to solve this ,lol.
Let's see why your equation is incorrect.
When you plug x=0 into your equation, you get B=-7. Your equation is saying that Variety B starts at the height of -7. This doesn't make sense, right?
To account for the 7 additional days for Variety to grow, add 7 to your answer c) 38.88 + 7. = 45.88 days.
Variety B still takes fewer days than Variety A, even with the twist. So we should choose Variety B for next year.

let me rectify this. variety A is the one which takes fewer days to grow. check that, pls

you said Variety B is the best because it takes fewer days. Not according to our calculations.
variety A takes 38.88 and B takes 81.88 without taking the week that it took to poke thru the soil which by the way does not change the result

You swapped the Variety equation by mistake
[math]\text{A = 35 inches} = \frac{3}{7}*x => x=\frac{245}{3}\approx 81.67 \text{days}\\ \text{B = 25 inches} = \frac{9}{14}*x=>x\approx 38.88 \text{days}[/math]

You swapped the Variety equation by mistake
[math]\text{A = 35 inches} = \frac{3}{7}*x => x=\frac{245}{3}\approx 81.67 \text{days}\\ \text{B = 25 inches} = \frac{9}{14}*x=>x\approx 38.88 \text{days}[/math]
check the problem. the first post. variety A needs to be 25 in
Variety B needs to be 35 in.
i think you swapped them. or me, but it is a mistake we need to rectify. in your previous post A should be equal to 25 according to the original problem and not to 35 like you are equating it to.

rectifying it then it is variety A the one which takes fewer days, check and see. you need to go and read the problem.

check the problem. the first post. variety A needs to be 25 in
Variety B needs to be 35 in.
i think you swapped them. or me, but it is a mistake we need to rectify. in your previous post A should be equal to 25 according to the original problem and not to 35 like you are equating it to.
Ah yes, my mistake. Let's try this again.[math]\text{A = 25 inches} = \frac{3}{7}*x => x\approx 58.33 \text{days}\\ \text{B = 35 inches} = \frac{9}{14}*x=>x\approx 54.44 \text{days}[/math]

now it is good, thanks
so, item d asks this: ''you remember that Variety B took an extra week to poke up through the soil before it grew at its normal weekly rate! Does this information change your answer about which plant produces fruit first? Why or why not? Which plant will you choose to plant next year? ''

So, variety B is the best variety according to what we have seen so far because it takes fewer days to grow, but if it took 7 days to poke thru the soil then I have to add 7 to 54.44 and that will give me 61.44 days which is more than what A takes (58.33)
it changes the information, yes, indeed

Thanks you so much for staying with me till the solution.
Thanks to Dr Khan too.