In an election between two candidates

hongtamphat369

New member
Joined
Apr 26, 2019
Messages
1
In an election between two candidates, one got 55% of the total valid votes, 20% of the votes were invalid. If the total number of votes was 7500, the number of valid votes that the other candidate got, was :

A) 2500B) 2700
C) 2900D) 3100
please help me!

a math problem for my internship
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2017
Messages
4,110
In an election between two candidates, one got 55% of the total valid votes, 20% of the votes were invalid. If the total number of votes was 7500, the number of valid votes that the other candidate got, was :

A) 2500 B) 2700 C) 2900 D) 3100
Please show what you have tried, so we can see where you are wrong or where you are stuck.

Possibly you misread the problem, as I initially did. How many valid votes were there? How many of these were for the first candidate? How many were for the other?
 

Whutever42

New member
Joined
Jan 19, 2018
Messages
16
All I can say without seeing your steps or straight out giving you the answer is that the question will take more than one calculation to solve
 

HallsofIvy

Elite Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2012
Messages
5,042
"In an election between two candidates, one got 55% of the total valid votes, 20% of the votes were invalid. If the total number of votes was 7500, the number of valid votes that the other candidate got, was:"
There were 7500 votes. 20%, 0.20(7500)= 1500 votes were invalid so 7500- 1500= 6000 votes were valid. What is 55% of that?
 

supermaths

New member
Joined
May 5, 2019
Messages
1
"In an election between two candidates, one got 55% of the total valid votes, 20% of the votes were invalid. If the total number of votes was 7500, the number of valid votes that the other candidate got, was:"
There were 7500 votes. 20%, 0.20(7500)= 1500 votes were invalid so 7500- 1500= 6000 votes were valid. What is 55% of that? 3300 correct. There is another way to solve this 20% are not valid so the rest 80% valid. The candidate got 55% of 80% which are valid= 44% What is 44% of 7500?
 
Top