Indeterminate?

Randyyy

Hey Mathhelp, the task goes as following: " Assume your average velocity to point A is 10 km/h. What speed do you have to drive back with to have an average velocity of 20 km/h?

My attempt:

The displacement call it d is the same for both trips.
d=V1 t1 and d=V2t2, V average = d/t, so 2d/t1+t2=V and doing the algebra i eventually stumble up at 200/0 which of course is indeterminate, but what does it mean? Does it mean I calculated it incorrectly or is it simply not possible? feels like somewhere along the line it is wrong because you could always compensate by driving faster or slower.

It can't be done. To do the trip at an average of [MATH]20[/MATH] you need [MATH]\frac{2d}{20}=\frac d {10}[/MATH] hours. You have used all that time outbound. No time left to return.

Hey Mathhelp, the task goes as following: " Assume your average velocity to point A is 10 km/h. What speed do you have to drive back with to have an average velocity of 20 km/h?

My attempt:

The displacement call it d is the same for both trips.
d=V1 t1 and d=V2t2, V average = d/t, so 2d/t1+t2=V and doing the algebra i eventually stumble up at 200/0 which of course is indeterminate, but what does it mean? Does it mean I calculated it incorrectly or is it simply not possible? feels like somewhere along the line it is wrong because you could always compensate by driving faster or slower.
200/0 is not indeterminate; it is infinite, in the sense of a limit. In effect, you would have to get back instantaneously (infinite speed) in order to average 20 km/h.