Indicies: My solution is 63 x 10^-4 The textbook solution is 6.3 x 10^-3

Ventus

Just to start of with I didn't know where to put my issue but here it is,
I am currently focusing on indices at school and I realised that sometimes when the problem asks to put the following number in a scientific notation they write it a bit differently than how I did it. Heres one for example
0.0063. Write this is scientific notation
My solution is 63 x 10-4
The textbook solution is 6.3 x 10-3
I noticed this little difference is repeatedly happening and my answers are always differentiating from the textbook. Is my solution wrong?
Thank you for whoever answers the question

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you been taught how to normalize scientific notation, so that the multiplier is always between 1 and 10? That seems to be the step you're missing.

In your example, in order to reduce 63 to the right range, you have to divide it by 10; to compensate for that, you multiply 10-4 by 10, giving 10-3.

Or you can go directly to this form, by counting only three places from the decimal point to past the 6 in 0.0063. Don't count all the way to the end. See here.

Another common form, sometimes called "engineering notation" would be \(\displaystyle 0.64\times 10^{-5}\) which has the first non-zero digit immediately after the decimal point. "Scientific notation", by definition, always has exactly one non-zero digit before the decimal point.

Another common form, sometimes called "engineering notation" [...] has the first non-zero digit immediately after the decimal point.

Hrm... that's curious, because I learned that "engineering notation" is what it's called when you always use a multiple of three for the exponent. For instance, valid engineering notation would be \(123 \times 10^{-3}\) or \(267.85 \times 10^{9}\).

Hrm... that's curious, because I learned that "engineering notation" is what it's called when you always use a multiple of three for the exponent. For instance, valid engineering notation would be \(123 \times 10^{-3}\) or \(267.85 \times 10^{9}\).
I agree.

From - http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EngineeringNotation.html :

"Engineering notation is a version of scientific notation in which the exponent
p
in expressions of the form
a×10^p
is chosen to always be divisible by 3. Numbers of forms such as
12×10^(-6)
230×10^(-3)
, 340, and
4.5×10^3
therefore correspond to engineering notation, while numbers such as
12×10^(-2)
2×10^2
, and
123×10^5
do not. 16 of the 20 SI prefixes (excluding centi-, deci-, deka-, and hecto-) correspond to engineering notation."

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
I am struggling with index laws.
Please start a new thread with a "problem" (exact problem statement) and your "attempts" to solve the said problem.

Please refer to the guidelines of postingin this forum at: