inequalities

Hi Jen. The first step is to solve the inequality for x. Where are you stuck?

If it were an equation, could you solve it for x?

-3 = (3/4)(x)

If you can solve the equation, then try doing the same step(s) with the inequality.

:)

[imath]\;[/imath]

I solved the inequality but I'm stuck when it says to list 3 values that would make the inequality true

If you got for example x>7, then your answer would be any 3 numbers greater than 7. x>7 means x is greater than 7. An answer would be 8.7, 13 and square root of 51
It is good that you can solve the inequality, but you need to understand what the answer means.

To forum helpers: I have gone on and on about how a student needs to understand what an answer even means and this post is a perfect example.

I solved the inequality but I'm stuck when it says to list 3 values that would make the inequality true
I suspect that you are used to problems that have only one right answer, so you are not expecting one in which you have a choice.

It doesn't say "list THE 3 values ...", as if there were only three you could list; it says to "list 3 values", which means "ANY 3 values" that fit the requirement. So you are free to use your imagination. For Jomo's example of [imath]x>7[/imath], you could list [imath]\pi^2[/imath], [imath]\frac{50}{7}[/imath], and [imath]1,000,000[/imath]; or you could just say [imath]8, 9, 10[/imath].