Inequality Fraction problem: (5/4)(4x + 4) <= 20

fresh83

Final_numb_2.jpg

it asks to show the graph of this inequality .

Use the Distributive Property to distribute the 5/4 over the sum of 4x + 4. In other words, each term inside the parentheses gets multiplied by 5/4, and the two results are added.

CLICK HERE to see an explanation of the Distributive Property

Yes -- you need to get all terms on one side of the equals sign, in the equation part, so that the equation is set equal to zero.

Once you find the solution for the equation, you have the x value at the "border point" for the inequality part. To determine the set of x-values that satisfy the inequality part, you can do some analysis by thinking about the slope of the line which is the graph of the equation OR you can pick a test value on either side of your solution for x and plug it into the original inequality. If the test value works out, then the interval from which you picked it is the solution set for the inequality part.

Since you're not familiar with the Distributive Property, I very much doubt that you understand much of anything that I just typed about strategy.

CLICK HERE for Google results on sites with information and videos on solving linear inequalities.

Thank you for asking specific questions; please feel free to ask some more.

Re: Inequality Fraction problem

so what would it be distributed ... i get the distributive propertry but the fraction messes me up

fresh83 said:
… i get the distributive propertry but the fraction messes me up

If you're trying to ask how to multiply two fractions, then you could have phrased this question as follows.

"How do I multiply 5/4 times 4x?"

Think of the term 4x in fraction form: 4x/1

When we multiply fractions, the algorithm is: (Numerator times Numerator) divided by (Denominator times Denominator).

\(\displaystyle \frac{5}{4} \cdot \frac{4x}{1} = \frac{5 \cdot 4x}{4 \cdot 1}\)

Hopefully, you see a cancellation between one of the factors in the numerator and the same factor in the denominator.

Do the same thing to multiply 5/4 times 4. Think of 4 as a rational number: 4/1.

Re: Inequality Fraction problem

Thank you much apreciated, this place is my savor