Integral [0, pi/2] [ (sin(x)) / (sin(x) + cos(x) ] dx

mikeyWay

Can someone please help me solve this? Thank you!

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\, \left(\dfrac{\sin(x)}{\sin(x)\, +\, \cos(x)}\right)\, dx\)

Attachments

• integral.png
    integral.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since you've shown no work of your own (and you've read the Read Before Posting thread that's sticked at the top of each sub-forum), I'm forced to assume that you have no work to share with us and are stuck at the very beginning. I think a good first step would be to multiply by the conjugate of the denominator, like so:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \left( \frac{sin(x)}{sin(x) + cos(x)} \right) dx = \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \left( \frac{sin(x)[sin(x) - cos(x)]}{[sin(x) + cos(x)][sin(x) - cos(x)]} \right) dx\)

Where does this lead you? What do you think would be a next good step?

and sin^2 (x) - cos^2 (x) = -cos (2x)

but idk how that help...

Attachments

• integral2.png
    integral2.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 1
Another approach would be to write:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle I=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\sin(x)}{\sin(x)+\cos(x)}\,dx\)

Now, if we let:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle u=\frac{\pi}{2}-x\implies du=-dx\)

Then we may write after replacing the dummy variable u with x:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle I=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\cos(x)}{\sin(x)+\cos(x)}\,dx\)

Add the two expressions for \(\displaystyle I\)...what do you get?

Last edited:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle I=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\sin(x)}{\sin(x)+\cos(x)}\,dx\)

Now, if we let:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle I=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\cos(x)}{\sin(x)+\cos(x)}\,dx\)

wow, thank you, i didn't think it could be solved so easily...

answer: pi/4

Now, if we let:

Ah, you beat me to it (good job). I just learned that trick about a month ago. It just eats through these type problems.

and sin^2 (x) - cos^2 (x) = -cos (2x)

but idk how that help...

Well, I see you've found the answer a different way (and I must admit that solution is far more elegant and nice... I only wish I'd thought of it myself :p), so I'm not sure how much this is worth... but the same answer can be found via my method, just with a fair bit of messy algebra and slinging terms around. Picking up from where you left off:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\sin^2(x) - \sin(x)\cos(x)}{\sin^2(x) - \cos^2(x)} \: dx\)

You've correctly identified that \(\displaystyle \sin^2(x) - \cos^2(x) = -\cos(2x)\), and we also know that \(\displaystyle \sin(2x) = 2\sin(x)\cos(x)\), hence \(\displaystyle \sin(x)\cos(x) = \displaystyle \frac{\sin(2x)}{2}\). Let's plug these in:

\(\displaystyle = \displaystyle \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\sin^2(x) - \frac{\sin(2x)}{2}}{-\cos(2x)} \: dx\)

Next, let's combine the numerator into one fraction:

\(\displaystyle = \displaystyle \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\frac{2\sin^2(x) - \sin(2x)}{2}}{-\cos(2x)} \: dx = \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{2\sin^2(x) - \sin(2x)}{-2\cos(2x)} \: dx\)

Now we can split the entire fraction into two:

\(\displaystyle = \displaystyle \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{2\sin^2(x)}{-2\cos(2x)} - \frac{\sin(2x)}{-2\cos(2x)} \: dx\)

And further make use of the addition/subtraction rule for integrals to make the whole thing into two simpler integrals:

\(\displaystyle = \displaystyle \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{2\sin^2(x)}{-2\cos(2x)} \: dx - \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\sin(2x)}{-2\cos(2x)} \: dx\)

A bit of cleanup involving pulling out some negatives and swapping signs gives:

\(\displaystyle = \displaystyle -\int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{2\sin^2(x)}{2\cos(2x)} \: dx + \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\sin(2x)}{2\cos(2x)} \: dx\)

\(\displaystyle = \displaystyle \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\sin(2x)}{2\cos(2x)} \: dx - \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{2\sin^2(x)}{2\cos(2x)} \: dx\)

Now let's use a few more trig identities to simplify some more:

\(\displaystyle = \displaystyle \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\tan(2x)}{2} \: dx - \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\sin^2(x)}{\cos(2x)} \: dx\)

\(\displaystyle = \displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \tan(2x) \: dx - \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\frac{1-cos(2x)}{2}}{\cos(2x)} \: dx\)

\(\displaystyle = \displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \tan(2x) \: dx - \frac{1}{2} \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{1-cos(2x)}{\cos(2x)} \: dx\)

\(\displaystyle = \displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \tan(2x) \: dx - \frac{1}{2} \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \left( \frac{1}{\cos(2x)} - 1 \right) \: dx\)

\(\displaystyle = \displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \tan(2x) \: dx - \frac{1}{2} \left( \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{1}{\cos(2x)} \: dx - \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} 1 \: dx \right)\)

\(\displaystyle = \displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \tan(2x) \: dx - \frac{1}{2} \left( \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sec(2x) \: dx - \int\limits_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} 1 \: dx \right)\)

And now we're left with only integrals we already know how to tackle:

\(\displaystyle = \displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \left[ -\frac{1}{2} \ln(|\cos(2x)|) \right]^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0 - \frac{1}{2} \left( \left[ \frac{1}{2} \ln(|\tan(2x) + \sec(2x)|) \right]^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0 - \frac{\pi}{2} \right)\)

By plugging in x = 0 and x = \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2}\) respectively to each of the expressions, we discover that they all evaluate to 0, so we're left with only:

\(\displaystyle = \displaystyle -\frac{1}{2} \left( -\frac{\pi}{2} \right) = \frac{\pi}{4}\)

So, yeah, my method gets the same answer, it's just way harder. And there's no real reason to ever do it this way, as it turns out.