Integral to infinite with two variables: int_{x+1}^{infinty} [(1/4) e^{-y/4}] dy

mihalaras

Hello! I have the integral you can see in the attached screenshot. I am really struggling to find a proper method to solve this and I am asking for a step by step solution so I can understand the method and be able to solve similar integrals. Thank you in advance!!
Screenshot 2023-09-03 150452.png

Hello! I have the integral you can see in the attached screenshot. I am really struggling to find a proper method to solve this and I am asking for a step by step solution so I can understand the method and be able to solve similar integrals. Thank you in advance!!
View attachment 36314

You have loads of worked examples in your textbook and in your class notes, so one more worked example is unlikely to help. In any case, as you saw in the "Read Before Posting" message, doing your work for you is not how this site works.

If you are completely unable to get started and need all of the steps given to you, plus all the reasoning ("so [you] can understand the method and be able to solve similar integrals"), then apparently you are needing lesson instruction in addition to whatever you got in your class and your text. Unfortunately, it is not reasonably feasible to attempt, within this environment, to replicate that instruction. Fortunately, there are loads of lessons available online. (Try Googling "improper integrals infinity", without the quote-marks.)

If, once you have studied enough lessons that you're able to at least make a start on this exercise, you are unable to work your way to the answer, then please reply with a clear explanation of your thoughts and efforts so far. You first replaced the upper limit with a placeholder variable, and... then what?

Thank you!

Let x = y/4. Then dx = dy/4 or dy = 4dx.
Make this substitution and then you will have the integral that khansaheb quoted above.
Post back with your work so we can help you proceed further if you need any more work.

View attachment 36314
If you need an example of the steps (not for this problem, but one like it), see these textbooks, for example:

Then you can apply the same steps to your problem, and learn more than you would if we just gave you the complete solution.

Please write back to show us your work, so we can offer any additional help you might need. (I'm assuming your difficulty is not with the integration itself, by substitution or by formula, but with the infinite limit of integration.)

If you need an example of the steps (not for this problem, but one like it), see these textbooks, for example:

Then you can apply the same steps to your problem, and learn more than you would if we just gave you the complete solution.

Please write back to show us your work, so we can offer any additional help you might need. (I'm assuming your difficulty is not with the integration itself, by substitution or by formula, but with the infinite limit of integration.)
This is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to revise the method used for Improper Integrals. Thank you a lot!